Thursday, May 8, 2003

DVD killed my video collection


Everyone else got their first DVD player, one of the old ones, years ago. They bought their second one a couple of years ago.

I got my first and only DVD player for Christmas. I sat there and opened two different DVDs, two different Muppet Movies and sat there thinking.

“Oh, I can watch these over here. Cool. My own DVDs at their house. How neat.” I am that thick.

So now I have all these moves that I don’t want to watch. I know they would be so much better on DVD.

Close Encounters for instance, would have to be better. I have all the Indiana Jones movies, now available on DVD and now I figure that they would be much better on DVD too. It ruins my video watching pleasure.

I also missed the great renaissance of going out of business sales at all the stores that went belly up. There were a lot of them and they all bought it. And they all had DVDs for pennies on the dollar. I wasted all that on videos.

And everything is on DVD. Titles not available any longer on videos are available in DVD. It is going to force me to buy a lot of Stephen Rea movies. No one does tall, dark and depressed like Stephen Rea. Even when he’s happy he’s sad.

I may also have to replace my John Hughes collection. He introduced me to the black hole of Andrew McCarthy. I think Pretty in Pink was the first video I bought. I love that movie. Now I have to decided if having a single video copy of All the Presidents Men is adequate. I really did like the book better, do I need Ordinary People, or Welcome to Sarajevo on DVD. I don’t really think I needed WTS on video; it was very depressing, even with the future Dr. Luka Hottie from E.R. I don’t think “bomb them, bomb those backward bastards back to the Stone Age” is the reaction they wanted from their audience.

And Adams Family it was fun in a theatre full of people snapping along with the theme… but after that?

is so funny but so ultimately depressing I haven’t rewatched it in years. I never rewatched Forrest Gump after discovering that Shawshank Redemption got totally over looked because of it. Stupid box of chocolates.

There is also Harold and Maude, so good. Why haven’t I watched that lately? Or LA Confidential, Kevin Spacey is an actor god in that, Fargo is still in the plastic wrap.

The original and un Pced E.T, West Side Story, Henry V, The Maltese Falcon. Interesting story with that one. I was working at a video store and my secret Santa forgot me. My boss noticed that I liked classic movies (not for their art, but because we were restricted to watching only PG-13 and below movies in the store and that meant we watched a lot of Jim Carrey and it was black and white or Dumb and Dumber) so he got me The Maltese Falcon, not that big a deal but I was my secret Santa’s secret Santa and I never forgot her. Bitch.

So I’m feeling pretty good about my videos. But.

Killer Babe for the CIA, Stars and Bars, Newsies, Stepping Out, Married to It, Before Sunrise, Ready To Wear, not one but two Ed Wood films, River Dance, The Journey of Natty Gan?

I needed to buy these? I needed to move these 1200 miles with me? Married To it, Stars and Bars? ?

Not to mention the five Barney and Friends Home Videos I worked on or the three seasons of Buffy I acquired before it ran daily on FX. The seven or eight or nine seasons of X-Files

DVDs also take up less space. Think how many seasons of Angel I can store! More John Cusack movies.








No comments: