Thursday, June 10, 2004

The Thumb Also Rises

I slammed my thumb in a cabinet drawer yesterday. It hurt then and it hurts now. I now have one Goth digit. I fell like I should dye some of my hair black and be kinda depressed for about ten minutes a day, or listen to two cuts from a 90s issue Morrissey CD.

The pain is less today. Yesterday I kept myself occupied keeping track of my pulse by the pain in my thumb. I also realize that I use that thumb a lot. Like right now? Used it to hit the space key. Ow.

I noticed that I use that thumb for a lot of things, holding on to the phone, maneuvering a mouse, using the TV remote! Putting Doggers leash on, turning the house alarm on and off, unlocking the front door. That was a big Ow.

Since yesterday I have not lost track of where my thumb is. I always know where it is because I am always doing something to remind me where it is, "where is that thumb? Oh, right here! On my pen. It feels that I am holding the pen to tight. I never knew that about my thumb you don't really pay attention to your parts until one of them hurts. Your ankle for instance, if it isn't hurt do you even notices it? of course not! its one of the most under appreciated body parts. Sprain your wrist and its kind of a drag, sprain your ankle and you might as well be bedfast. Or, your back. How often do you even think about your back? Stay out in the sun tool long and you will think of little else. Bend over the wrong way and you will become down right obsessed with it. Same with your neck, as long as it is doing its job, a very mellow body part, keeps your head in the same place you left it, houses the often painful throat another easily forgotten about body part, ya know until you are conscience of swallowing and then… you can't stop swallowing. Just try. It's not going to work. And if you annoy your neck in anyway, you might as well not even get out of bed.

But anyway. Back to my thumb or more specifically my thumbnail or as it prefers to be called "The Black Opal".

The Black Opal also has serious issues with my toothbrush. It let me know earlier that it would appreciate it if I could work more with my left hand until it felt more like itself again. This would be fine but I have included my left hand in very few things, it doesn't know how to do anything. It hardly knows the rest of me is here. My whole left side feels "left out" at times. Occasionally it demands my attention by hurting itself. Then I am all about whatever it is. As a child I pissed off my left arm so badly it felt that the only way to get my attention was to break itself twice. There is nothing like wearing a cast to really bring you closer to your body part. My left ankle is also the ankle more likely to twist itself when it wants to dialogue with me. Right talkative it is too. Loud mouthed bastard.

But this time, this time it is the right thumb that wanted my attention. Thus far it hasn't shared with me why. I wonder if it really wants me to stop chewing my nails? Or it saw a nail polish color it thought looked good. Whatever it was, thumb, I'm here and I'm listening.

No comments: