Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Ow


I did something to piss off my back. I don't know what I did, but if there was a memo I missed it. Out of nowhere a yellow sticky note wafted down from the sky with a terse see me! scribbled on it. Damn. Nothing good ever comes from a message like that. See me! usually means "run!"

Sure enough when I went to go see my back it waved me into the room and motioned me to shut the door. Yeah. , Good News does not come with an invitation to close the door. A closed door usually means they are going to make you cry, or at the very least they are going to yell at you and make you want to cry.

My back was on the phone and let me sit there while it finished up its conversation, with, I think my left knee.


Back - "Yeah, I know. I know. I think we can pull a couple of extra folks in to help fix it, yeah, yeah, I know. If it's not one thing - I know! Again! I'm going to - yes? Okay…"

to me - It'll just be a minute. My back opens a file on its desk and starts to look through it -"Em, Yes! Still here. Okay, okay, okay. Well. Yeah, of course. Okay. Talk to later, Okay."

And so I'm sitting there trying to think what I did wrong. I mean, there are so many opportunities to do something wrong to your back and sometimes you do something that doesn't seem bad, and you do it over and over again and nothing happens, so it can't be all that bad. And sometimes I've done things in concert with other things that are probably not great for it, but all in all. I try. Okay, when I remember to lift with my legs, I do. I think…

My back is still on the phone now they seem to be talking about something not even work related. Something to do with inner tubes? Or floatation devises or something. Finally it gets off the phone.

My Back - Okay. We have a lot of work to do so I don't want to waste a lot of time here. Do you remember yesterday afternoon when you moved those boxes?

Me - Um -

MB - You messed it up. You didn't lift correctly and now we have problems. I've been getting phone calls from various muscles you offended all day. What happened?

Me - I don't know. I just -

MB - You don't know? You don't know. This is a problem and I know we've talked about this before (flips through file on desk) and everytime you say it's not going to happen again.

Me -I didn't -

MB - No. Lets just try to correct this as quickly as possible, okay?

Me - Okay.

MB - Just don't let this happen again.

Me - I won't!

MB - Right.

There is no "fix', I didn't do anything and it hurts like I tried to pick up a pool table or Kitty or something. All I know is that I walked Dogger and everything was fine and then my back hurt. I can't think of any one thing that would have caused me to wrench it or sprain it or whatever it is we do to our backs when we piss them off. It isn't debilitating or anything, it just tender and needy. It doesn't want to sit down it doesn't want to stand up, it doesn't seem to mind me lifting heavy things, but it has complained about files. Whatever. I'm going to hit with aspir-cream when I get home and hope it doesn't want anything more complicated then a hot bath.

No comments: