Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Yard-Art
 
I think I need a 12 foot concrete Giraffe in my back yard, actually I think I need two giraffes in my back yard. The mama giraffe and the baby giraffe. I think I need them because having two large grazing creatures in my back yard might explain why the yard is in such bad shape. How nice could it be with giraffes living in it?

I am not completely out of my mind, I have stepped away from my "I need a concrete hippo" idea I had before I saw the giraffes. I thought I needed the hippo but then I remembered I no longer drive a truck and I don't think the hippo would fit in my back seat. I don't think the giraffe family would either, but Broskey still has a truck and I think the giraffe's weight less. I am trying to keep things in perspective.

The giraffe family would make a lovely tableau for the yard as well. I think the neighbors would really like to see them peaking over the fence at them while they go about their daily business. I am also planning to some how attach casters to the family so I could move them around. I think that by moving them may also cause the neighborhood children to start exercising, it would make them come outdoors and run around. Everyday they could play hide and seek with the giraffes instead of playing Grand Theft Auto 8 or whatever. Maybe they could right little papers on giraffes too. The older folks could have place little wagers on where the giraffes would be next. I would bring the neighborhood together; I could be a point of light.

Something needs to be done about the back yard. I mowed it, clipped the hedges and cut down the suckers around the tree and the yard is still ugly. I think a flock of concrete something's would be nice and would be prettier to look at, as well as less hard to maintain then an actual plants or lawn. Concrete animals don't need to be watered and they won't play host to Dogger biting beasties. No animal has ever gotten a rash from spending too much time stretched out on a concrete toadstool.

Right now the yard is muddy, smells of dead rat and is home to several million mosquitoes. It is not a nice place to be - enter Giraffes! They wouldn't mind a little mud or the mosquitoes. I see great promise in the giraffes. Concrete animals don't melt in the sun, run in the rain or freeze in the cold, they don't need to come inside or go outside to relieve themselves. Where were all these charming concrete animals when I was in the market for a pet?

There are also the crocodiles. I think a crocodile might be a nice touch and could conceivably help my wetlands designation project.

There is also a startling array of concrete bunnies. I could get a squadron of them out there. I could also get a division of lawn gnomes and battalion of Snow White's and the Seven Dwarfs's to keep guard. I could go and get almost anything in concrete. The yard art opportunities are limitless. I could have a couple of happy big-eyed aliens to great visitors! Or I could get larger then life sized Doberman Pinschers or German Shepherds to watch my back, if those weren't quite enough, I could get almost life sized concrete policeman to hang out in my yard. I could have the biggest concrete fountain this side of Trafalgar Square!

I just have to figure out how to get my new friends back to my house. I don't think Minnie has enough seating for them all. It would take many trips, it might get expensive with the gas, and my back all ready hurts. Maybe I could get an ark?! I bet if I looked hard enough I could find one, a concrete ark to hold all of my concrete animals! Yard Art menagerie here I come!

No comments: