Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Doggers dogs are barking

I noticed the other day that Dogger was trying to pretend she wasn't limping. She kept slipping up on the whole "I'm really not limping" thing and kind of listing to one side.

When we got home I trapped her in a corner and tried to look at her feet. She got away. I tried again to get her in a position where I could study her paws and she got away again. I was beginning to understand the wisdom behind hospital gowns and its not just having your behind on display - where are you going to go, dressed like that? I finally tricked her into her box and followed her in. This she was not expecting. She couldn't get away but she looked as though she was studying the floor of the crate as if to see if she might be able to dig her way past me. Sadly, No.

After being pretty sure I got to look at most of her paws, she was making it hard -she kept taking them away from me and changing positions like she was playing some kind of doggy shell game. It took a while but I finally found the offending paw and noted that she had a patch about the size of a dime missing. Ow. I went to go find my Handy Dandy Doggy first aid kit but I couldn't find it. I ended up trying to wash the area with soap and water and failed. She did not want her foot doctored. She wanted to lick it. A Lot. I remembered Brosky and Alphagal are storing a dog halo thingy at my house and I went to go get it. They look so easy to put on, Ha! What is easy about them is getting them off. I put it on and Dogger had it off before I was out of the room. I took it away and made a note to keep an eye on her foot and go to the store if she kept up the limping.

We finally went on a walk and by the time we came back she was limping on both sides, after another round of hide the paw I found a spot about the size of a pea on one of her front paws. She really objected to soap and water this time. Tough, I'm still taller and she still hasn't found a way to telaport herself out of her crate.

I finally made it to the pet store to pick up more bitter apple and restock my Handy Dandy Doggy first aid kit. So, now I'm heavily armed in my fight against infection! I have peroxide, I have triple antibiotic cream and I have bitter apple! I even bought a fresh bag of cotton balls. I was ready to doctor!

Dogger was also ready. She was in her box making herself as small as possible while managing to hide all four of her feet, she was moving around by standing on her toes and thinking of Swan Lake. That was good, but not good enough. After a lot of bitching and whining on her part I got both paws doctored I decided she was going on the IR list for at least another week.

I think between the peroxide and the antibiotic stuff I can get those paws healed up sooner rather then later. I'm also going to brush her teeth twice a week and get her bathed. Dogger will be so excited! Teeth brushing wound cleaning, soapy bath and no walks! If I'm lucky she won't contract The Kitty to kill me in my sleep.

No comments: