Monday, October 11, 2004

Weekend

The traffic had been a bitch Saturday morning, they had blocked off all my streets headed where I was going and sent me around Robin Hoods barn to go downtown. I was at red light number fourteen when the mini van in front of me took it upon herself to park. I didn’t see anywhere to park, I guess she was planning to run her van up a street light. I looked behind me to see if I could back up and the whole rear window was full of the grill of the truck behind me. There was no where for me to go and the other van really wanted to run her van up the street light. The car in front kept backing up and I kept creeping back, but the grill was still there and was not disappearing so I really got annoyed and stopped creeping. The backer-upper called over a rent a cop who had been standing there with her thumb up her ass, and had the rental cop ask me snottily, “Ma’am I know you have a lot planned for the day, but take a little bit out of your day to do something for someone else. Back Up”. I told her I couldn’t and at that moment the truck behind me woke up and inched back. The light finally turned green and I escaped.

Another weekend another canvass. 30 more address’ , four more responses. This canvass stands out because the houses in the largest part looked like Easter eggs. Blues, pinks, yellows, greens. Every other house identical. I could pick out seven different available styles but only three or four seemed popular. I half way expected to see My Little Pony’s(tm) ambling about. It was pretty but kind of like living in What Dreams May Come, but without Robin Williams. Without anybody, come to think of it. Several hounded houses in the sub-division but we only saw a handful of people outside and none else seemed to be at home.

The second phase of the canvas was through a very different neighborhood. Every house was different and looked like something out of a seventies Architectural Digest. We found two of our four responses here. One was all Kerry all the way the other an annoyed undecided.

Anyway. I went to see what had been the jam this morning. Well, they had ben something, a run or a walk or something. By the time I was back there it was long over and all that was left of what had been Oktoberfest was handful of men in lederhosen and a few women in dirndls.

I went home and rescued the dogs. Then I made three batches of dog cookies. This took a long time. I learned from trial and error that the cookies aren’t adequately crunchy and too damp when they initially come out of the oven. I have to put them back into the heat for an hour or so on low heat to really dry them out. So for every batch there was an hour of sitting around time. The carrot cookies were not a huge hit. I tried to get the dogs excited by this new taste by feeding them the left over carrot pieces... they weren’t interested . They don’t seem to hate the resulting cookies, but they like the peanut butter and the cheese cookies better.

No comments: