Friday, March 17, 2006

Zipping Denied

My plan was to eat lunch quickly and then zip to the store and pick up some more food for The Kitty and then zip back to work and spend the remainder of my lunch hour reading my book in the car. I finished my lunch quickly and was in the car all ready to zip to the store when I remembered that the store within zipping distance is not a Kroger, The store within zipping distance is a Food Lion and it is only from Kroger that the One True Cat Food can be picked up.

Damn.

The closest Kroger is too far away to be zipped to. There is no zipping off to the Kroger. It is far enough away that it must be schlepped to. You have to schlep to the nearest Kroger. So I schlepped out to the Kroger got the cat food and schlepped back. I still got to read in the car a little, but it wasn’t the satisfying read in the car that I had planned for. My plan was 1)Eat lunch, 2)Zip to store, 3)Obtain cat food, 4) Zip back to work and read book for a good 20 minutes - What? I eat really fast, I can be done with my lunch and back from zipping off to buy cat food before you've finished unwrapping your PB&J. This was all supposed to happen in a snappy manor. Schleping is the anti-Snappy. The schelp to all the snap out of my game plan.

Zipping v. Schlepping

schlep or schlepp also schlep Slang
v. schlepped also schlepped, schlepping or schlepping also schlepping, schleps or schleps also schleps
v.tr.
To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug: schlepped a shopping bag around town.
v.intr.
To move slowly or laboriously: schlepped around with the twins in a stroller.
n.
1. An arduous journey.
2. A clumsy or stupid person.

[Yiddish shlepn, to drag, pull, from Middle Low German sl pen; see lei- in Indo-European roots.]

schlep per, schlepp er, shlep per n.


zip
n.
1. A brief sharp hissing sound.
2. Energy; vim.
3. A zipper.
4. Slang Nothing; nil; zero: received zip for money after doing the job for them.
v. zipped, zip•ping, zips
v.intr.
1.
a. To move with a sharp hissing sound.
b. To move or act with a speed that suggests such a sound: The cars zipped by endlessly.
2. To act or proceed swiftly and energetically: zipped through her homework.
3. To become fastened or unfastened by a zipper.
v.tr.
1. To give speed and force to.
2. To impart life or zest to.
3. To fasten or unfasten with a zipper.


from
The Free Dictionary.com

I hope kitty appreciates my sacrifice. I knew there was a reason that I needed to do that errand after work. There are Lunch Errands and there are After Work Errands. Errands that can be run at lunch include – buying stamps, light bulbs, paper goods, mailing stuff, grocery shopping for non-perishables or pet food. Lunch time is also ideal for “mission shopping” – when you know what you want and where exactly where it is located, you are going for one thing and one thing only and you will not be distracted. You are going in and you are going out. While after work errands include: grocery shopping for perishables, buying hard to find cat food, shopping for area rugs, and browsing. Browsing at lunch is not as satisfying. To properly browse you can not be on a clock. Wal-Mart is for your lunch hour, the mall is for after work.

And today is St. Patrick’s Day!! Yay! Think Happy Green Thoughts! Drink Green beer! Wear Green! Feed your dog a
greenie .

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: