Thursday, January 25, 2007

Must Love Dogs

Dogger and I had a good time at the park yesterday. We had a better time after the two absolutely gorgeous but mean spirited collies left. I don’t know much about the breed but I don’t think Lassie ever snapped at other dogs. But I also don’t remember there ever being any other dogs in the Lassie universe. Perhaps that is why Lassie was always hanging out with Timmy. Lassie wasn’t allowed at the dog park any more after she got teethy with Rin Tin Tins' stand in one too many times. I think Lassie may have been the one that pushed Timmy down the well all those times. Lassie was like one of those firemen who start fires so they can put them out. I could see a collie doing that - Aren’t I pretty! Isn't my nose elegant? Look how my coat gleams in the flashing lights! Don’t I look dashing? I alerted the rescue squad you know. I made them get here. Aren’t I heroic and pretty?

I felt really bad for the dog park collies’ doggy daddy. He forgot his coat and got cold after a while and wanted to go home. The dogs did not want to go home. The doggy daddy had to go to his car and pull out an old sheet to keep himself warm. So, there he is wandering around the park like an over grown four year old with his sheet/cape and his dogs will not leave! I was invested in their leaving because one of the dogs got toothy with Daisy and Super Doggy Dad separated them; then he wouldn’t then give her back to me, it was over and I wanted my dog back and he wouldn’t let go of her harness! I was like “Wow, I’m so sorry! this hardly ever happens” and “I can take her now” and “It sure is scary when they get in to it” and “I can take her now” and Doggy Daddy would not let her go. I think I had to ask three times before he let her go.

His dogs had jumped Dogger before while they were together at the park and I should have kept a hand on her this time as a precautionary measure, but I don’t bring my dog to the park so she can sit next to me for some unspecified time until some one else's aggressive dogs finally leave.

I was less than thrilled that Dogger got into it with another dog because this hardly ever happens because Dogger is the nicest dog ever in the whole world ever... She is also enormous and I do not need her to get in the habit of fighting. I need her mellow. The world at large needs her mellow. I don’t want the dog park people to think Dogger is aggressive. I don’t want to think that Dogger is aggressive – and she isn’t until she gets pushed too far.

Finally, the guy was ready to go. Not the dogs. The dogs wanted to run and play. And run and play and run and play and run from Doggy Daddy. He finally leaves and goes into the parking lot and the dogs don’t care! They aren’t going to the gate and whining like the other dogs do if their people have to step out to get water or put something in the car – Even if Dogger doesn’t want to go home, me leaving the park is a real motivator to get her to the fence. Not that it has gotten that far yet, but the couple of times I’ve had to go get water, Dogger has not been happy about it and went directly to the fence to make sure I wasn’t leaving her there.

But anyway. Super Doggy Daddy is still chasing his dogs around and they aren’t leaving. Finally one of them goes toward the gate and another dog park person corralled it – so Doggy Daddy had one of his dogs. Dog number 2 still wasn’t going home.

It was a total nightmare! I felt so bad for the guy – not so bad I helped or anything... Maybe if he had let go of my dog sooner.

No comments: