Thursday, June 3, 2010

The pearly gates

I heart my dental insurance. "You heart your dental insurance?", why on earth would you heart your dental insurance? I mean, how lovable is dental insurance? Mine is the sweetest, nicest best looking dental insurance evah. It loves puppies and over stuffed chairs  and likes good books and long walks on the beach. I might be in love. True, I didn't  open up about my peculiar dental proclivities or ask it to do anything it wasn't comfortable with, like act out my favorite sections of the Denta Sutra . Right now I just want us to enjoy each other.

Why the sudden heat for my dental insurance? I went for my six month check up with x-rays and it cost me a grand total of drum roll please

*

*

*

$7!

$7! I couldn't believe it! I walked to the front and dug out my plastic because, hey, even with insurance!insurance! this time I have insurance!  I hardly carry around  co-pay level cash with me.  except now I do! I freaked out the receptionist with my actually paying with money, apparently dentistry is not really a cash business,  she had to go dig out a cash box that I bet doubles as the office coffee kitty. I should add along with the x-rays they did the cleaning and the polishing and the mandatory small talk that they usually feel quite comfortable charging me exorbitantly out the  uninsured ass for twice a year every.

Without  the magic card they would have handed me a bill for $192.  Significantly more than I carry around in my wallet or at many instances in my bank account. The magic card saved me $185 - True, I pay $30 a month  for that magic and that does add up over the year granted, but I officially do not notice the monthly tab so that twice  a year I can be shocked stupid my it working.

Oh, another shock? No cavities! I don't have to go back and see them until December! I didn't go to the dentist for oh, say five years and my teeth were literally crumbling out of my head and after enough follow up appointments I could find the office in my sleep; I go regularly and not only does everything stay solid I need a GPS to find the place.

On my victory lap home I drove through the first recorded F5 tornado/Cat 4 hurricane. Look it up.

No comments: