Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Paint by flowers.

I'm still tired from the weekend, but not so tired that I couldn't find the energy to buy a new hanging basket for my new fabulous plant hanger. I need to plant the rest of my inpatients, but I don't have the strength (post Wallyworld visit,  post dog walk, post bike ride to post office) to carry the last remaining wooden planted up from the basement and then to carry the heavy dirt to the planter and then get the plants to the planter. Its just too much work.

I'm going to do it though but I want to put more thought into where the planter is going to go. It doesn't sound like an important decision but once its full of dirt and flowers it is not going to be something that I casually move around on a whim. I could put it in the backyard to add to the floral joy there or I could have it in the front and spread the flowers from the deck to the yard, its a tough decision and both choices sound good to me.

I could always plant some of the flowers in the big planter and have that in the front and then leave a few out for a smaller planter that could live in the backyard or I could be really industrious and clean out more of the ground around the  watermelon and plant all the flowers there. They would be very happy in the soil and they might spread out and really make the area pretty...

Or  they could crush my baby watermelons, so I could also just spend my lunch hour wandering around the farmers market looking for inspiration , I would be interested in maybe some nice blue flowers out front because I'll have just about every other color represented and it would look pretty or it would look busy and I should stick to the  multiple colors of the same single variety that I have now but....

I drove past a house today that was just awash with  purple flowers, hundreds of the same kind and color and it really looked impressive, perhaps that was the way to go but then you really have to be dedicated to a single kind of  flower and a single shade of that single flower and I'm not sure that's me, unless it was a very pretty light blue, in what case I could see to have them all the same color... But too late for that, and...

If you go that way, they all bloom at the same time and all their flowers wilt and fall off at the same rate and you spend a lot of time with leaves but no blooms. The way I plant it doesn't matter that all the whites have are buds, you should see the reds! and the purples are just starting to fade a little but the oranges are doing fantastically well! There is always something blooming...

Or, you could replant every few months and be all seasonal and win the Best Yard competition, but than you would have to live in a neighborhood that did that kind of thing and we don't. We are glad when we all mow our lawns. One neighbor plants his vegetable garden in raised beds on his concrete driveway! My neighborhood could awards the yard with the most Chutzpah.

No comments: