Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Local Raleigh Area Readers! Today is an election day!

You need to hit your polling place some time today. If you can vote for Helen Tart for city council at large, please do. I know her and she's a nice lady who was pivotal at getting the dog park together.

VOTE VOTE VOTE !!
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SMALL ELECTION!
THEY ARE ALL IMPORTANT AND THE LOCAL RACES EFFECT
YOU DIRECTLY AND IMMEDIATLY.

The I-pod Has Landed

Not only do they deliver on holidays, it arrived a day early. I had it sent to work as they require a signature and I don’t really want it coming to my house and forcing the FedEx guy to make conversation with the passers-by. I know where the FedEx building is but it doesn’t mean I’m in a hurry to drive all the way down there for a 8oz box.

So. It sat on a corner of my desk all day and I pretended I wasn’t looking at it.

We arrived home. And I very carefully opened the box.









It’s so tiny! It’s like a newborn It’s just bitty. It’s an Itty-Pod! The engraving I had put on it can only be read with a very powerful microscope. I think the typeface must be in the negatives. I’m glad what I had put on there isn’t really important or meaningful because it would hurt my feelings to have to carry around a microscope with me so others could be also deeply touched. Also? I should have gotten it in safety orange . Dogger has tags on her collar that are heavier than this thing is. They have every color known to man and they don’t include safety orange. I-mistake!

I took my tiny toy to the computer and plugged it in. It’s so cute when it blinks! Another couple of days, and it should be fully charged! Another thing that could really actually take days? Downloading Itunes. Damn. I know that my dial up is lame, but when I started the download it said it was going to take 13 hours and 50 minutes 13 hours! And 50 minutes! I know that excess packaging is wrong and wasfull, but they couldn’t just send along a CD? Because I think having to spend 13 hours and 50 minutes downloading something is also a waste. Of time. Of my time. The good news being that after the first hour it was down to 6 hours and 25 minutes. As we speak, it has downloaded 26% and the next 74% should only take, 5 hours and 20 minutes.

Sigh.

It has given me plenty of time to go around the house and dig up CDs . You would think that I would keep them in the same place, safely stored in some easily accessible location, close to my CD player - but that would be wrong. There are some here, some there, a couple without CD cases in that drawer, another couple hiding under assumed names in that box... I’m pretty sure I have some at work and still others boxed up with stuff from the move. I can only fine one of my Partridge Family CDs! You would think that a person wouldn’t need three Partridge Family CDs, but you would be wrong again. One is not enough and say, four, would be too many.

I am going to have to set an alarm to finish up this endless download - and that is only if it can download for hours without getting corrupted..

Do you think that if Dogger is left outside for say, a couple of hours, that she would use that time productively, say to completely empty her bladder? so that she would not feel any obligation to pee small lakes while she is inside? Did I mention that now that she is allowed to wander at will through out the house that she is turning my home into The Land of A Thousand Lakes? That someday, after she is gone I am going to use her bladder as an artificial island?

WooHoo! 32% with 4 hours and 45 minutes remaining! Even bigger Woo-Hoo, by 10:15 PM it was I-Ready.

2 comments:

Tony said...

We could probably put itunes on a cd at our house if the dial-up download didn't work.

Loose dial-up. Get cable. Really.

Cat said...

When you start loading CDs onto it, make sure you are online because it downloads the track titles and album information from the web. That way you don't have to type in the name of every song, artist, CD, etc.

We actually know who some of the candidates are this time around so the election will be more than a toin coss.

The ones we know might not be any better than the ones we don't know, and in fact might be much, much worse, but at least we know them.