Friday, June 13, 2003

Busy



The parents are arriving this morning and in celebration the animals held some sort of ticker tape parade while I was at work and now the carpet is covered with scraps of shredded paper. It looks like Times Square a half-hour after the ball drops. The kitchen looks like I have food in the house again. Cooking is kind of fun, cleaning up after myself is kind of not. The less said about the bathroom the better. I should have been cleaning all week but I kept taking the dog for walks, updating this, watching TV…

It rained again today. Of course. Today is the day the Dish TV man was supposed to come and see if they could free me from The Evil Empire. When the phone rang right after I got home I was sure it was the guy calling to say that due to the rain and everything that he couldn’t come today and I need to call and make another appointment. I was ready to get flushed. Score! No flushing! He showed up! There was no problem getting me service! Unlike the Direct TV bastards who told me that there was no way they could hook me up, the service guy said that the other service guy just didn’t want to do the job and he probably lied to me. A cable guy lied - and pushed me right back into the arms of the Evil Empire.

Dish TV freed me from The Evil Empires shackles. I am watching BBC America! I can watch Ground Force! I no longer have to watch 12 hours of Law and Order a week. I have choices! Weeeeeeeee!

It’s going to be hard to relearn all my TV. I’m going to have to figure out how to tape how to watch tapes, how to watch DVDs. It’s going to be a challenge.


I have officially been racially profiled! I feel so marginalized. Last night while I was taking dogger out, one of the drug dealers was reading the riot act to a collection of folks outside “Ya’ll have to shut the fuck up and go the hell home. We have white people living here now and they don’t like that shit”

I had no idea. I wish he would get the idea that white people don’t like junked cars in the front yard, an over grown lawn, falling down rain gutters and front yard BBQs that they are not invited to.

It’s too bad they don’t know I try my very hardest to never listen to anything I over hear (unless its really, really interesting) I’m afraid eventually it will be in my best interest to know nothing about what they talk about over there. In my version of real life they are running a church over there and they have services all the time.

Speaking of Johnny Law. As I turned onto my street this afternoon I was greeted by flashing lights and police tape. Something happened at the remaining gas station. By the time I greeted the animals and put dog on a leash and went back down the street, the tape was gone, the cops had left and the crowed had dispersed. I asked the one guy who was still there and he said he didn’t know anything. Humph. Nothing says Rising Property Values like police tape.

I almost forgot. We had some excitement at work yesterday. A resident from the building next door got away. Escaped! I was minding my own business, filing, when I heard a police whistle outside. I looked out the window and saw an office worker chugging across the lawn followed by a nurse with the whistle. I don't know what the whistle was supposed to do. I don't think it was drawing the escapee back to her and the running and whistle blowing was about the end of her. They were followed by a squadron of official looking folks and a campus police cruiser. Who ever the crazy person was, they weren't too crazy as to not know the fastest way off campus. They got them back. I would have appreciated an email follow up on that. I mean the case of the missing earring back was worth at least two DHHS-All emails. I would think a missing resident could should have been good for at least one breathless email.






No comments: