Tuesday, June 24, 2003



The People United…




I’m getting a late start on this. Usually I do this earlier when I all bright eyed and bushy tailed. I went out tonight. Yes, me went out to see a man.

Like most of my dates, he wasn’t able to show but was kind enough to leave a taped message. If I’m going to pay for my own dinner, I always appreciate a taped message to the troops.

I’ve never gotten in on the ground floor of a campaign before. Well, I have but I was seven years old the last time and the candidate was my Mother.

This candidate also said all the things I want to hear. So, unlike my Mother, who won, there is no chance in hell of this guy getting further then the nearest primary. The real purpose of his candidacy, being to keep the front runners honest, force them to remember what party they belong to, cause them to talk about things they don't want to talk about and to provoke them to take stands on topics they would rather not have to discuss. It's good to hear the stuff you want to hear, from someone who does not have 23 piercings and green hair.

I feel so validated. And after the meeting, I feel so young. I was sitting with a woman who was shocked that could even have heard of Mondale much less remember who he ran with. I was in High school, I was not daft. I’ve been voting since 1986, so I have gotten my vote on for a while. I’m cynical enough to think that the Oh-So-Ernest folks at the meeting were sweet, but headed for a fall. I’ve just rarely taken the risk to allow myself to get that excited about a candidate. I have onlyhad a handful of pols I supported win. I mean, I’m a Democrat from Dallas! I have backed a few horses that hit the ribbon first, but for the most part, my support has been death kneels for many fine candidates. It’s easier to adjust to a surprise victory then to adjust to a surprise (to no one but you) loss.

Itsless traumatic for me as a voter to go in knowing the candidate doesn’t have a chance in hell of winning. It hurts my feeling less that way when they lose to the devil. I mean, I knew this was going to happen…

I want to vote for someone. I am tired of voting only so that I canagainst someone. I want my own candidate. It’s been a long time. I deserve that. We all deserve a decent candidate. I just want it to be a guy (because who am I kidding) who is not going to do things with out my permission. I am not asking for much. I just want more then what we have now. I don’t want to be made fun of by the people who are supposed to be representing me. I don’t want to he forced to march in the streets to be heard and I do not want to be ignored once I am in the street. I am tired of being marginalized. I am tired of being too timid to have opionions. I am tired of being forced into timidness. I am tired of having fear be my copilot. I want the administration to care that I care. I want to matter.

Now before I went out on this Mission I had to find something to wear.

I thought about what kind of folks were (I thought) going to be there and I wanted to look as much like them as I could. I can’t be 19 again, but I can manage to not look like your average suburban League of Women Voters type either. I need to uphold my Gen X cred

I fished my most Demographically attractive top and my only pair of marginally stylish jeans. They look more stylish on other people then they do on me, but it’s about fitting in.

You know you are getting older when you have to decide if you are young enough to still wear a style, “Hip huggers, yes, baby tees, not so much”. A couple more years and I'll have to switch from Cute to Office Casual for my evenings out. For the time being though, I can still go Cute. The difference between me and the coeds, other then a decade and 20 pounds, is Cute is just one of many options available to me and for them its just about the only one, because no one wants to see a teenager, no matter how cute, in Office Casual.

Is anyone else having Post Harry let down? I spent all weekend reading it and most of the last few months waiting for it, and now its over. There isn’t a next book and the movie doesn’t open until this time next year. Sigh.

Since I was out this evening, I was unable to walk dogger. I took her up stairs and discovered that my upstairs is the same size as my back yard! I can throw the ball up there for her and not have to also worry about digging or mosquitoes!

Are you registered to Vote? You cannot vote if you are not registered. If you don’t vote you can’t bitch.



















































No comments: