Thursday, August 14, 2003

Google-ing


I hate verbing. I do it, I understand it – I’ve watched Joss Wheadon shows, I feel verbing. I still don’t like it. I don’t care for made up words.

You would think with our great huge brains and every language on the planet at our fingertips, we invent “google-ing. Not only is it lazy its giving free advertising to a business.

I mean, I “get” Kleenex becoming a term for just about all tissue that we don’t flush. I “get” Coke as all carbonated beverage. Fine.

But who invented this word? What brain trust came up with this? I don’t remember Yahooing a person or thing. I just typed in Blah Blah and I got 23,457,896 hits that had Blah, Blah. I didn’t Yahoo it.

Whatever.

Anyway back to Googling. Ack. I wanted to not work this morning and I tried to look up this sing songy thing we used to sing to each other on the playground. I think it involved rhythmic clapping. I knew two versions.

One was Playmate and the other was Enemy. I looked these up online and the words were about the same. How did that happen? We didn’t google stuff, we knew stuff. We all knew the same stuff. We didn’t have the Internet. We did have computers, I got my picture in the paper in local paper playing Hang Man on the new fangled computer machine we had in our classroom. That machine probably didn’t have the power my solar calculator has.

But. How did we know all these rhymes, we all sang the same little songs. My school had one we used to lock games so I looked it up, and much to my shock; other people used it too! the hell? What is this “We made the world a smaller, closer place” bull shite that the Internet babbles on about? Oddly, we had universal knowledge before we all went online. My version was a little different then the version I found online, but it was close. We, being mean children referenced beating people who wanted to join our locked game with our shoes while the other one only talked about taking the persons shoe for a period of time. Wussy children.

Play, Play my Playmate, Say, Say my Enemy, Tick Tock The Game Is Locked… Dayum.


What else?

Dogger got into some hydrogen peroxide. I called the emergency number for my vet and they assured me that a dog has huge as Dogger is, should have no problem with the little bit that she got. It scared me though. Little known fact, hydrogen peroxide can be used, in small amounts, under controlled circumstances, with supervison from a doctor - to make your dog throw up if your dog needs to throw up. Dogger did not throw up, but it was an option. My carpet, however threw up all over. Yuck. That cheap Wal-Mart stuff doesn’t hold up like that cheap IKEA stuff.

I just woke Dogger up again (italics hers). She usually naps around this time, but this time she sipped on some poison and napping looks less nappy and more deady. I always look for the silver lining to fall on my head.

I have also noticed that my links are gone. They left with out telling me where they went. Tech support has been notified. Sigh.




No comments: