Friday, October 17, 2003

Brigadoon




It’s State Fair time again. Yay! I love the State Fair. Granted it isn’t as good as the State Fair Of Texas but I can go to our fair grounds at night and not get dead. I can either have a real gee whiz, whiz bang State Fair experience or I can not be found dead in a field. It’s a trade off.

I’m not a big game player or ride goer oner. Games and rides cost too much and take time and money away from Midway Food and people watching. It is also hard to take picture while hurreling along at 60 miles an hour upside down. When I was little I loved rides but I think I over did it and now they just make me nauseous.

The picture taking thing is the best part. I love the Midway at night. All those very photogenic lights and lit up posters. They look great – it’s what all those Christmas lights do in the of season.

I knew the fair had started up. I had been dreading it as when the fair is over and the flea market comes back ( they share the space) there will no longer be puppies sold at the flea market. I love the puppies, they are the only reason I went to the flea market when I first moved here and the first thing I look for when I go there now.


I go there, went there to self medicate myself with a little puppy therapy. The best day I had puppy stalking was before Christmas last year when there was a couple selling Weimeroner puppies. I grew up with a weim and I loved her dearly. I couldn’t in a million years afford one of those puppies, but I was able to hold one and it made me so happy I cried. I hadn’t held a puppy like Moon since she had been a puppy and I didn’t appreciate it then because I was pretty much a puppy too.

I did, we all did a lot of weimeroner stalking over the years but never really got to that close to one and now, one was hugging me. It was the best day ever. I really miss our Moonie a lot. She died when I was a junior in high school. I had to stop reading Dear Abby because there was always a letter from some one asking her what to do now that their dog had died and they felt so awful. This was usually proceeded by a several paragraph long explanation of this dog and how wonderful it had been ( our dog? Much, much better then their dog, still every time? Tears) I got really tired of sobbing at the breakfast table every morning and had find something else to read in the mornings.

Anyway. The Fair is back. The lights, the food, the freaks! I am going to haul off and drop some money on a new camera ( I did and it wasn’t that much) so I can take it with me when I go. The last year I went I was shocked when I got my pictures back, they were so good. I couldn’t believe it. They turned out like they looked through the view finder, I had to ask if they were actually mine. I take pictures of Christmas Lights every year and they, every year, turn out like ass. I would have to take a lot to make even one turn out right. It’s all about film speed, too slow they turn out grainy, too fast and if you breath while you are taking the picture it and it ends up all blurred and not in that Arty “I did this on purpose aren’t I the with it photographer” way – 800 speed film is what you need. I wish I had learned that before I spent a fortune on 1200, 1600 speed film and got nothing but a lighter wallet.

I saw the Ferris wheel tonight, all lit up. Like magic. It wasn’t there and then it was. Brigafair! I can’t wait.

No comments: