Monday, November 10, 2003

Heat Loaf



I woke up yesturday morning to both the warm bulk of Mr. Kitty curled up purring next to me and warmth and purr of my heat pump cycling on. This was kind of a surprise, kitty doesn’t usually like touching me if he’s sleeping, and I thought I had set the heater to not turn on until the water in the toilet froze over.

I struggled with staying in my nice warm bed and listening to the purr of my power bill spiraling out of control. I heaved myself out of bed, pissing of the kitty and got up and set the thermostat back to less likely trigger. I went back to sleep secure that it wouldn’t go off again. And again was woken up by the twin purrs of my power bill spiraling out of control and the kitty. Winter sucks. The weather guy promises we’ll be back to less winter and more not winter by midweek.

I love Poverty Barn . Some of you may know it by its more Common name, Big Lotts but for me it will always be Poverty Barn.

Where else can you pick up gifts for three workmates, a table lamp, toilet bowl cleaner, and a scrubbing bubbles manqué and still get out for under $31.00? . You can’t beat it with a stick. I could have picked up a very nice Christmas center piece that would have looked great on my dinning room table but I’m trying to use restraint. I don’t need a centerpiece for my dinning room table. I did really need a table lamp and while the bathroom cleaners were kind of after thoughts, I needed them too.

The lamp was a problem. Poverty Barn sells furniture now, they are very excited about it. When I finally found their lamps amid all the press board bedside table nightmares and genuine man made pleather couches - they had a few lamps, but not Big Lotts of lamps. Disappointing. Everything they had ran the gamut between really cheap and tacky and really trashy and tacky. I just wanted something cheap. They had a couple of nicer table lamps but they were too big and contemporary and bright green for the knotty pine thing I have going on in my attic room. Ideally, they would have had something with a cabin theme with moose and fish things going on, maybe some flannel. They had an ersatz painted glass lamp that might have made the cut but but it was too dark and threw no usable light at all. If I didn’t want useable light, I would tape a flash light to the cat and toss a handful of kitty treats on the floor. Not useable, but certainly entertaining. That they had covered. When I told the clerk what I was looking for he told me he thought the light up Globe was the brightest lamp they had. That would have been great if I was eleven and a geek. Why do they make lamps that don’t throw useable light? why do they make lamps that aren’t lamps. They make them and they end up at Poverty Barn.

I did finally find one that satisfied my light requirement and more or less filled the rustic thing I may be trying for up there.

That meat loaf smell you’re picking up is indeed really meat loaf. Home Made Meat Loaf made in my very own home with my very own hands. Mr. Nice Neighbor had a stroke last week. He and his wife are such nice people and it’s so sad that this happened to them. So I made them some meat loaf. I made two, one nice one for them using brand new shredded meat and one using the shredded meat of indeterminate origin that has been in my freezer for um, an indeterminate period of time.

Good news! The Loaf Of Indeterminate Origin is actually good! It isn’t nearly as much like two day old birthday cake as my last loaf and I don’t seem to have food poisoning yet! The gift loaf looks okay. I hope they like it.

No comments: