Friday, December 19, 2003

…Boughs of FridayFive, La,La,La!




1. Do you enjoy the cold weather and snow for the holidays?

I enjoy the cold if I can be warm. Cold and mounds of snow are great and seasonal and turns the landscape into a Christmas card, but snow is cold, and wet and turns perfectly good dirt into mud. Snow also doesn’t stay pretty and snowy, it turns into slush and puddles and other cold, nasty, messy things that ruin your shoes and track into your house and mess up your floors. I like snow best when it happens over the weekend and goes away by Sunday night. If it really wants to, it can stick around longer, but not so long that I start to hear how if it stays on the ground for more then a week that it is waiting on more to fall. I didn’t know that until I moved here. I was happy not knowing that – I prefer to think of snow as solid rain that doesn’t stick around because it is expecting friends.


2. What is your ideal holiday celebration? How, where, with whom would you celebrate to make things perfect?

I like to have my family around me and if my family has other plans I would like to have friends around me. So far, I’ve been lucky and not had a holiday on my own. I would be pathetic and probably wouldn’t want to be around myself. I want to be warm but its okay if it’s cold outside, because cold seems festive and holidayesque, like something from a movie or a Christmas special. I really like to have a fire in the fire place, but not too as too cold is not fun or festive. If it’s too cold you can’t really get warm, and you can’t go outside to get away from the family.

3. Do you do have any holiday traditions?

I don’t know. I don’t think my family had things that we had to do every year. Maybe we did, but I didn’t think of them as traditions as such. I’m big on cards and getting them out, so I guess that’s a tradition. I always send them I get very excited about putting lights up and I did that even at my apartments and not many other people did that. I also really must go drive around and look at other peoples lights. In Dallas we went to one of the hoity toity old money neighborhoods to go see their displays, they really knew how to decorate for Christmas. It’s easy when you hire a crew and have an unlimited budget.

4 .Do you do anything to help the needy?

When I had a better job, I used to buy toys from a discount store and give them to the police to hand out for a Blue Santa program. I did that for two or three years in a row. Then I got a lesser job and didn’t have the money to help out.


5. What one gift would you like for yourself?

I really want a new stereo for my truck. Oh! I know what I would buy for myself if money was no issue! ( not the question, but anyway) I would buy one of the abandoned oar docks in Marquette and then I would buy one of the many classic oar boats that are heading to be dismantled in India and then I would remodel it so I could live on it and in the remaining 95 percent, I would turn it into a museum to Oar Boats and Oar Boat history and All Star Oar Boats and lots and lots of pictures of Oar Boats, and there would still be space for locals to make stuff and have stores and spaces for classes and whatnot and I would rent kayaks and boats and fishing stuff and show the locals that tourism is good! and can get them out of the mines and into the sunshine. My own oar boat, that would be cool.

No comments: