Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Ahh v. Awe


I went to a different neighborhood library over the weekend because my neighborhood library isn't open on Sundays. I really needed to check my email so I could keep up with this auction I was supposed to win. Some cow went and outbid me for my plush mounted moose head! After I set a ridiculous high bid! I know she didn't really need it! She's probably going to use it for a pillow or a dog toy or something. It's wrong. I just didn't want it enough, I should have made my high bid even higher, but then I might have ended up spending too much and I think that really, it may be time to step away from the Ebay. It's addictive. I didn't really need a plush mounted moose head, the pictures weren't that clear and, and… No Damn it! That plush mounted moose head was mine! And I did need it!

Anyway, back to the other library. It had books in it. Imagine a library with books! Reference materials? Right there! All the stuff that is supposed to be in a library? A whole lot of computers? Hell Yeah! Acres of titles? Right there.

And that library is getting replaced because it's not nice enough.

My library hasn't seen a replacement anything since 1974 and hoity-toity library is getting a whole new building.

I couldn't get over all the books. The stacks went on forever. My library should have stacks that go on forever. The books should awe me at my library. The books under awe me at my library. I look at my library and say "ah" is not "awe".

The nicer library is about three miles from my library. The clientele is different. On Sunday I sat next to a man who clearly had issues, I mean how long does it take you to get your mouse pad arranged? Less then five minutes? Not a whole lot of shifting around? Not much grunting? Not this guy, at my library I sat next to man sounded tubercular. He didn't have any mouse issues. Definitely Crazy White Guy v. Possibly Sick Black Guy. I'll take the possibly sick over the definitely crazy any day.

I didn't even want to spend a lot of time wandering the nicer library. It made me sad. It had all these displays and selected titles and new releases and current events and art work. My library has a display, featuring Chocolate. Yeah, Chocolate.

My neighborhood got the shaft librarywise… But a display featuring chocolate? They have a flyer up for a poetry slam, why not a display of African American poets? How about interviews with folks from the poetry slam? Anything. Chocolate? Just because you got the shaft doesn't mean you have to fall down it.

Another thing that annoys me.

Am I the only person in America that does not care about Basketball? The TV makes it sound like the most important thing ever and if I do not watch every minute of all 312,098 scheduled games - that I will be missing out on… what? The Second Coming? A cure for cancer? A Basketball game? Basketball isn't even Football. Basketball seems to be a celibration of not being able to go outside and play. Its for places with rotten weather and no where to out a proper stadium. It's not football. It's just not that important.

One good thing? My Fargo snowglobe finally arrive today. Yea!!!!!!

No comments: