Tuesday, March 2, 2004

All dressed up and something to watch

I love the Oscars™. Despite their reputation as the town slut I love the Golden Globes™ too. I watched the BAFTAs™ for the first time and loved them. I spent Sunday night flipping between a rerun of the Independent Spirit Awards ™, loved them and their so lame it's kewl sing a longs, (a little on the See, We're Very Different And Edgy and not at all like the Industry we're Independednt… do ya know anyone hiring? wanna read my script? I can't pay you but we may get a distribution deal! So I'll pay you after that. HA. side) and the red carpet festivities on ABC. It was a bit of a culture shock flipping between the two. There was a lot of on purpose lameness at both events, actually.

In general if there is an awards show I'm watching, with the caveat that I do not watch music/Video/MTV awards of any flavor/topic, The Peoples Choice ™ awards until they ask me what I think, Teens Choice, Kids Choice anything, or anything calling itself Family Awards.

Actually, I'm less of a red carpet whore then I thought I was.

That still leaves a lot of awards shows. I watched the SAG awards all the way through, more or less for the first time. After the first 12 or so winners announce how happy they are To be Actors while holding up their Union Card while making eyes at Half-Pint - I got bored. They all talked about their salad days and how poor they were, from paying their heavy SAG dues no doubt. Blah Blah Blah Multi Millionaires Now. Whatever. They awarded Johnny "I Show up for No One and bathe For fewer" Depp a trophy for the Pirate movie. What-ever. I can think of a half dozen of his past performances that were better and more about Acting then doing a two hour Keith Richards impersonation. The BAFTAs didn't bite and neither did anyone else.

Depp was good before he fled to Europe and stopped bathing. That’s a long way to go to escape 21 Jump Street reruns or maybe he was running to escape the killer fame that ruined Leo Dicrapeio. Remember when he was an actor? yeah, before Titanic turned him into a Fame Whore. And made him stop thinking about his process and start thinking about his posse. He isn't an actor anymore and that’s a shame. He showed such promise in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape and The Basketball Diaries.

But Depp could be doing quality projects and while also not bathing. He didn't have to be a pirate. I would hate to see him over exposed. There has to be a happy medium between Ashton Kutcher fame whoreness and Bill Murrays fame fear.

Sigh Bill Murray didn't win. I really, really, really wanted him to win. I loved that movie and I loved him in it. It was some comfort that the screenplay won, but I still wanted him to win. He looked like he wanted to win too. It made me feel bad for him and made me really, really, critical of Sean Penns' signiture histronics. I'm going to go watch Meat Balls and whimper.

I do want you to notice that all the predications I made on Sunday came true. Go Me.

I was glad to see Tim Robbins win, which was a happy thing. I like him and his speech was good. The ladies were dressed uniformly appropriately. That was kind of boring. I was hoping for at least someone not to wear an over priced prom gown. But alas, taste was everywhere. The guys looked good too.



And of course the hobbit movie swept.

No comments: