Friday, March 26, 2004

Insert Title Text Here

I took Dogger for a walk yesterday. A short walk. I, thanks to The Kitty, sprained my ankle over the weekend - okay, it wasn't directly Kitty's fault, I didn't trip over him in the dark or anything, but I wouldn't have tripped going down the back stairs had he not wanted to go outside in the first place; so I would not have been going back down to the basement when I saw a Ding-Dong ™ wrapper at the foot of the those stairs and I wouldn't have taken a moment to say "Hey, that isn't my Ding -Dong™ wrapper!" and then subsequently fallen down the remaining three steps and sprung my ankle.

Anyway. My ankle hurts and walking the Dogger isn't as much fun.

I limped through our walk on Monday and Tuesday we had Dog School, and Wednesday was the first day I thought my ankle was feeling better, so I was not wearing my spandex ankle wrap, which I believe is recycled from a dress I once owned as it was roughly the same size.

Okay. So I didn't wear it and my ankle felt wobbly the whole time so I made us go home.

The walk did mark the first time Dogger wore her fabulous new lead. It's called a "Halti" and I've seen it in every vet's office and pet supply place I've been into in the last year or so and its always been very expensive. I got it on sale, because they are changing the packaging to a much more worthy of the ridiculous price tag plastic wrapper and my wrapper is cardboard.

Dogger does not love her Halti. I bought it because it was on sale and it looks less scary then her pinch color. The Dog Whisperer also thinks that the pinch collar means jack to Dogger and I was looking for something that she might respect more or at least find harder to ignore. I think after spending the whole walk trying to pry Dogger off the pavement, out of the grass and from half way up a light pole, I might prefer the pinch collar.

The Halti looks a little like a not very butch muzzle. It fits over the dog's face and you attach the dogs existing lead to it and it corrects the dog by gently, pulling its face to the side when the dog pulls too hard. Or it makes them look like they bite.

Dogger does not bite. Dogger does like to twist and shout in the middle of intersections and this I do want to muzzle. A often as I have told her that while she is stopping the parade she is no Ferris Bueller and she needs to take her show off the road, she doesn't care and she doesn't mind. I'm tired of people looking at me like I can't control my dog - because I can't! She only does this shit when she thinks some one might be watching. If we're alone she doesn't do it and she won't do it for the Dog Whisperer because she loves the DW with her entire dog heart and she doesn't want to upset him and cause him to spend more time with The Other Dog. The DW can also pick her up off the ground and I think she thinks this is the coolest thing ever and that he is the King of Coolness. I can not pick her up so I am reduced to shit bagger. I do not rate.

But I do have a "Halti". I may not be the Queen of Coolness but I am the Duchess of Discipline.

No comments: