Wednesday, April 21, 2004

The Early Bird Special



I got the room painted. I even went over it a second time. It is well and truly painted. It looks great. Very soothing, very blue. I now have to think about the rest of the furniture in the room. I had been waiting until I knew what I wanted to do with the room before I hauled off and did anything with my dresser. It's large and what ever I do with it; it's going to be a big job. A big potentially messy job. That potential for mess part alone has kept the thing in the same unfinished state it was in when I bought it, six years ago.

I also don't want to think about having to moving it. It is not the kind of thing I can just pick up and haul back and forth to the driveway to have my way with it. What ever ends up being done is going to be done in sito.

Painting it is probably the fastest option, but its still going to need to be sanded and if I am going to make that much of a mess I would rather stain it to match the bed. But. stain is messy and I don't think I can be trusted to stain a big hulking piece of furniture and not also end up with a brown carpet as part of the bargain. I have seen on my home improvement shows that brown is making a decorating comeback, but I don't think that I want to be that trendy - not that I am in love with the pink carpeting in there, but it is still nice and I have a certain devotion to anything I don't absolutely have to replace, granted, there is hardwood flooring under that pink carpet, but the carpet trumps the wood as carpet is soft and the wood is, um, hard and given to being cold first thing in the morning and I have enough excuses to not get up when I am supposed to with out adding "The floor is too cold" to the list.

If I got through and do all the staining or painting or whatever with the dresser, I then start to think about furniture placement and that just makes my head hurt. I can really imagine myself making me very crazy with where do I really want the bed to be and where I really think the dresser should go and do I really want the carpet after all? I just got this wild hair to paint the walls and all of a sudden I'm thinking about staining the dresser and ripping up the carpet. I also am going to have to do something about the drapes. In an "I don't want to have them anymore" way. I really like the windows in there now that I took the drapes down and I think they should be seen, but at the same time I like the dark. A Lot. I don't want to wake up with the sun every morning and that room gets all the sun. It takes from the other windows and will steal the neighbor's sun too. That room gets bright. And Hot. So I'm going to have to have something on the windows that both stops the light and allows the architectural interest aspect of the windows to be seen.

Since I got all Trading Spaces on myself - despite washing my hair every night I still have enough blue in my hair to qualify for a senior citizens discount, The Kitty has morphed into some sort of vile tempered Smurf and I think Dogger is getting stoned off the paint fumes.

No comments: