Friday, April 23, 2004

The Good With The Bad


Remember a few days ago when I was doing a Congo line around my office because I had finally collected enough scratch to replace my dead computer? And I hauled off and bought a new one? it was a big day. Well, for me anyway. You might be enjoying the tour of public facilities and playing "catch that transmittable disease" or getting excited by playing the at home version of Law And Order, but frankly, I am way over it.

The other day I came home and there was a sticky note on my front door letting me know that UPS had been there. I am assuming that the UPS person took a quick look around the neighborhood, and after making sure his wallet was still where he left it, decided that he was not going to leave anything out where it could possibly be mistaken for carrion and get carried off by the neighborhood vultures. I understand that. He could have left it with the nice neighbors, but I don't exactly have a sign in the yard saying "This Way To The Nice People, Guaranteed Not To Sell My Stuff At The Flea Market Out Of The Trunk Of Their Car because ya know, that wouldn't be neighborly and might piss off the neighbors that would steal my stuff and sell it at the flea market out of the trunk of their car.

So. I grabbed the sticky off the door and rolled over to the library and looked up the address and got the directions to the UPS place and a nifty rash. They will wipe the screen off while you are still sitting in front of it but God Forbid they as much as dust the keyboards and the less said about the mice the better. Anyway I made plans to go to the UPS place the following day.

I find the UPS place, surprisingly and I only passed it up one time, Go Me! I waited around for a while and got rewarded with my box. Yay Box! I put it in the truck and went on my merry way.

And then I got home. I wasn't going to unpack it because it was nearing nine o'clock and I had a show to watch and I didn't really want to get into it with the machine just yet - Hey, Angel only has so many episodes left and I didn't want to half watch it. The show wasn't supposed to start just yet so I opened the box. I pulled out my new computer, mouse pad, mouse pad and keyboard, and approximately 378 different preloaded disks. All good. I did notice that among the 378 preloaded disks they included a pre-loaded AOHell disk even though I clearly told them that AOHell was not my choice and not the ISP I wanted pre-loaded This ended up being a sign of things to come.

I plugged everything in and sat down in front of the screen and prepared myself to be dazzled…

So far, nothing shiny.

Okay, it sings. Go it. My speakers do work!

Good, the screen is working, slicked right on, little messages from Dell, little messages from Windows. Okay. All systems go!

"Now Hit The Next Key" the machine sang at me.

I took the mouse and, and, nothing the pointer didn't even twitch. I moved the mouse again. Maybe it fell asleep or something. It's a version of Windows I haven't used before and maybe it does things differently.

No

Long story short, it never moved. I called tech support in Bombay; I switched the keyboard and mouse hook ups to see if maybe they were put in backwards or something. Nope.

So the good news is, I have a new computer, the bad news is, it doesn't work.

Edited to add, It Works Now!!!!!

No comments: