Friday, April 30, 2004

Yard Dog



I took Dogger on a different route today for our walk. I get bored walking the same routes day after day. It gets old. I think Dogger likes to mix it up herself a little, sniff new smells see new sights. I think so at least, for her part Dogger doesn’t say much either way and she keeps her inner dialogue to herself.

The new and improved route we took last the one I see people on with their dogs every morning when I’m turning into campus to go to work. I always wondered where they were going and why they were there. They are there because its pretty! And peaceful and it smells good. It’s right off the main road, across from the prison within site of death row, You would never know from the path. The only lifers on this side of the road are bunny rabbits, squirrels, song birds and flowering vines. A little creek burbles by. I felt like Snow White.

We came across the worlds slowest squirrel. It sat there for so long I was wondering if the squirrel had mistaken dogger for a lost deer. It came with a hair of getting up close and personal with the business end the not really a deer. I’m would have made a great chew toy for Dogger, she would have loved digging the squeaker out.

We had the best time. We even met another dog and some people and Miss Dagger behaved like a lady. She didn’t lunge at the people, hardly at all and she didn’t even try to taste test the little dogs ears, much. The little dog was yipping and yapping and trying to be all tough and thuggy. Dogger was all sweetness and light. The people even commented on how calm Dogger was. Dogger doesn’t have to be thuggy with yappy little dogs. She saves her thuggery for her chew toys and random people walking past the house - conveniently for both of them, out of her reach. The last thing I want is to look out the window and see Dogger playing tug of war with one of the drug dealers customers. Dogger has stronger jaws, weighs more and is in better shape then most of them but I’m afraid they are better armed.

By the time we came back it was twelve hours since her last meal and she was looking at me like what she imagines poor starving doggers must look like. After all, she had two rides in the truck and a long walk. She was exhausted! Sleeping all day, riding in the car and then a walk! Poor thing.

After I fed Dogger I mowed the yard. I had thought all this time that I had the mower set on the“Sir! Yes Sir!” New Recruit setting but instead it was set on “Just A Little off the top, I’m letting it grow out” Suburban mom

. I should have known. There are these raggy little flowering weeds that sit out there and smirk at me every night when I pull into the drive way. I look at and say “those little bastards are going to be first against the wall when the mower revolution comes”. But the little bastards get away from me every damn weekend! So I reset the mower and showed them Revolution. I kind of like those little flowering weeds in other peoples yards. They look cute in kind of a shaggy chic way. In my yard they look like ass and they must die.

I discoverd after mowing the back yard that it is like a balding man. I should barber the yard like you would barber a balding man, keep what little is there longer, it looks better. If it gets too short you see how sparse it really is. Sigh

No comments: