Monday, June 14, 2004

Signed First Addition, early retirement here I come!


In last weeks Sunday paper was a big story about David Sedaris. Funny guy, talented guy, a hometown guy. Homie was going to be in town over the weekend to flog his new book at Charming Local Independent Bookstore I'm pissed at them, but not enough to bust on them in print for it).

I've read all his books. He is so funny and so talented he makes it almost not entirely embarrassing live here. He rocks hard. I own several of his books, I had more but I sent one to SSG Cuz while he was getting shot at in the desert so I'm down one, but still. It was for a good cause and war time requires sacrifice from us all. I wasn't getting shot at, the least I could do was send my book off to war instead. I'm altruistic that way. Books not Bombs, yo.

Anyhoo. I went off to Brosky and Alphagals to pick up their books to get signed and away I went. Signing started at three. I left early enough, I thought. Little did I know. Early enough would have been 5 pm Friday.

So I'm on the road. CLIB wasn't where I left it. They hadn't moved the damn street wasn't where it was supposed to be. I finally found the place but not before I had to run around Robin Hoods barn to find it.

After much driving and cursing and hating, I finally find the street. I'm not even at not at all charming parking lot of CLIB when I see a lot of cars. A lot of cars. Like outdoor festival lots of cars. All along the street, up and down there are cars, cars in lawns, cars everywhere; And I'm looking around for the signs saying that Dale Jr. was around somewhere - that would be drawing this throng of people. It couldn't possibly be for a writer. Even a good writer, even a home grown writer, even a internationally recognized writer. I mean come on this is Raleigh for Gawds sake!

And then. And then I saw a guy carrying a book. Damn.
I drove into the lot. And I drove around


And Around
And Around
And Around
And Around.


And around some more and I am still trying to figure out why all these people are here. You know the parking lot of a mall the day after Thanksgiving? The thing is supposed to start at three and my clock is saying a quarter till. I'm thinking if I can find somewhere to leave the car, because at this point, I'm open to just leaving it somewhere. There are no spaces left. I finally find a place, the last unoccupied illegal parking place in the lot. Good. It's not three yet and despite the getting lost and the no parking place thing, I'm here and I'm okay.

Me and every NPR listener on the eastern seaboard.

I go up to CLIBS and stand around. I'm thinking we're standing around because there is a line to get in. No, we're standing outside because the fire marshall will close them down if anybody else goes inside. CILB has under planned for the event. CILB owner hasn't seen anything like this in "20 years". I don't know what kind of plan they had for this but whatever kind of plan it was, it was a bad plan. There are people out side who drove all the way from New York City! God Damned NYC to see this guy!

They got in.I ended up buying my book from a big chain, 30% off.






No comments: