Thursday, July 8, 2004

Change is Good

I did something kind of scary this morning. Something I haven't done in a long time… I changed my route into work! . I was fine with my old route. It was direct, there weren't any school zones to get in my way and I could go 40 all the way. Those were the days. One day last week I left at my normal time I made the normal trip down my street to my turn and made the turn. Everything was fine. Then… Then I hit the signal. This has been my friend, this signal. It seems to know that I am on my way and it has done it's best to always be green and in the case where it could not control itself and it was red, it didn't stay that way.

Well.

All of a sudden that damn light was red all the time. I pull up expect to be going through soon and wound up cooling my heels and then my calves then my whole leg! Once it does finally turn green, if the front car wasn't ready to put the pedal to the metal and scoot through imdeatly and if the car behind him wasn't completely focused on getting through the light, we would all miss the light. At best 2 cars could get through the intersection before it changed again. This sucked.

If I couldn't make it past that light it made me late to the next light and so on. I had my trip timed very carefully. If I was having a very good morning, I had green lights all the way.

Had being the operative word.

Something had to change and it wasn't going to be that damn light. It was up to me. I could have called the city or the streets people and let myself be put through voice message hell or or I could just find another way to work. This is easier said than done. I hate changing my routine. I have to do the same things at the same time every morning. I have to get my little tasks done by the time I leave or my day could turn out really bad, or the whole world will come to an end - I haven't rigorously tested this theory and I don't plan to; yes, that smacks of OCD. Change is not easy. I can add something to the routine, but not without some difficulty. But change in my routine was looming.

I figured out that if I went straight through my usual turn, I could still intersect with the same streets, with fewer signals. I got into to work about 5 minutes earlier then normal. This was very exciting. I had been avoiding the route because the street is much more residential then the other way and the speed is lower, but because I am required to stop fewer times for less time, it comes out to a faster trip!

Yay me!

Change. Change is good. I am also mulling over changing the template. I really like it and it has served me well… but it's old and there are all these new toys that come with the more recent templates and when I tried to add these new toys to my old template, it wasn't pretty and it highlighted my lack of HTML skilz. I found one that is close to this one, but I don’t know. My template isn't even available any more and I kind of like that, because it says "I've been here awhile", But… and of course I've read all these "How To Blog" things and they all say to never, ever, ever change your template, Ever!, because it will cause it will scar your readers psyche…. But… I read other blogs and they change their templates and it doesn't cause me psyche scaring. So I don't know?

Okay, poll time. Should I change my template or will that make scars on your psyche?

No comments: