Friday, July 2, 2004

There is no time to waste! (Like mine)


I'm going out of town today and my plan is to leave work early. On Monday, early was going to be Noon. I was going to be out the door at noon. By Wednesday it was 1:30, today it's looking like 2ish. It's a holiday weekend. Not only am I going to be on the road on the Friday of a holiday weekend, I am heading towards the beach on a Friday of a holiday weekend. I need to leave early. I am trying to leave early. I have a lot of work that I had said to myself that I was going to have done before I left. My plan was to get it all filed and start the week on a new set of chores. Not going to happen.

Yesturday, we had a two hour mandatory telephone courtesy inservice. I do not need a two hour mandatory telephone courtesy inservice. I am very courteous on the telephone. My less courteous co-workers make fun of me because I am so uniformly courteous. So I spent two hours learning about telephone courtesy. Two whole hours being told that it is not nice to yell at callers, that we always give our names to callers and we do not shout at callers, or at our co-workers over the paging system. We needed a two-hour inservice to be told to be polite to callers and not yelling at coworkers.

A brief outline of the inservice.

9:00am - Class starts
9:05am - Inservice instructor takes personal call on cell phone, leaves room. 9:10am - Class begins to point fingers as to "whose fault this is"
9:15am - Class has head of faultee on post and begins to experiment with body paints.
9:20am - Her personal call over, Inservice instructor returns room, asks if anybody has anything they want to talk about before we start.
9:45am - Police leave.
10:00am - Potty Break
10:15am - "The right way to answer the phone", "what do you want" is not the right way.
10:am - "The right way to deal with a unhappy caller", asking the caller which mental hospital they are calling from is never the right way.
10:25am -Potty Break
10:35 - I stopped paying attention at this point as it had nothing to do with my day to day job functions at all. When I asked if I could leave, as this had nothing to do with my day to day job functions at all, I was told that in an emergent situation I might need this information. In a true emergent situation I would not be answering calls!

I spent most of the inservice trying to schedule my outside errands. I have to take Dogger to the vet to get her heartworm shot, I need to remember to talk to the vet about kitty Prozac for Kitty, I need to go to Sams to get Doggers food, I need to mow the front yard, empty the dishwasher, vacuum the house, get the animals things together for the weekend, and get my stuff together for the weekend. I thought I might be able to get the food over lunch but then I remembered it was The Mouth That Roars birthday lunch so that cut my lunch hour errand running out.

And I still have all this crap in my office that isn't getting done because its so much more important that I learn to be courteous then for me to actually do my job.

Have a great Fourth of July! and a safe and happy weekend! No new updates until Tuesday!

No comments: