Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Doggone Dog



Kitty has just been insufferable since Dogger left for vacation. I mean I'm glad to see him happy and everything, but dayam how many times can I hear

Ding! Dong! The Dog is gone! which Dog?, the stupid Dog!
Ding, Dong the stupid Dog is gone!
Gone
Gone where the ice and snow, above, above, above
Ding Dong the stupid Dog is Gone!


Before I want to barf. And don't even think of pointing out how the words aren't even close to being clever. Kitty tells me not to dis his art and if I insist on furthering my critique, he threatens to take a dump on my bed.

Kitty is so happy. I haven't seen him this light on his feet and at ease since before we left Dallas. He scampers all over the house. He takes special pleasure in sprawling on the spot that the dogs crate usual rests. He is being a real bore about the whole thing. He's getting used to it and I'm afraid he's not going to take the shock of reality very well at all. He's going to be living with Dogger in just a few more days. But first he's going to have to survive the ordeal of the plane trip and I'm afraid that is going to be traumatic enough that he won't even notice he's back in Dogland.

The thing the Kitty isn't always thinking about until I am sitting on him, is that while the dog is gone, I have no one to pay attention to except him- and if he would stop obsessing over how much he hates Dogger for a few minutes he would see that. He hates being paid attention to unless its food related attention, and then he's a total whore. I think, for him, the perfect world would be one where he lived in the house by himself and food would just magically appear whenever he was hungry - he thinks he would dig that, but last summer when he actually got to live the dream - he was so lonely he actually was nice to Broskey and Alphagal when they came to feed him, he acted all cat like and playful. So unlike him.

He should embrace the dog and see the upside of Dogger is that I don't have as much reason to force him to entertain me if the dog is around for me to play with instead. He doesn't make that connection though. You would think he would love the dog for that reason alone.

I spent the weekend playing hide and seek with Kitty. He kept trying to escape me and then I had to find him and force him to sit in my lap and be petted. He hates that. Being petted is the total bain of his existence. Being loved on is such a burden. The only time he will intentionally get up in my lap is over the winter and then what he really wants to do is suffocate me. He can't get warm on my lap; he really needs to lie across my face to properly warm up.

I thought it would take longer for the both of us to adjust to living, all be it temporarily, a dog free lifestyle but it hasn't. I haven't tried to feed the absent Dogger or anything. If I hear a dog barking, I know it's YAY! Not my dog! My parents called me over the weekend to inform me they let Dogger off the leash and were shocked! when she ran off. I don't know what they expected her to do, she's never off leash, her life is one of leashedness. Let her off the leash and expect her to just sit there?

She was off the leash and running and swimming and chasing a ball and there were no cars to get in her way of her having the best time ever and they thought she would just pick up her towel and head home? To a leash?. She's not that dumb and oh, yeah, she's a DOG. She came back…but they were still shocked! shocked I tell you!! that she would not obediently walk over to have her leash put back on. Do you ever want to come home from vacation

No comments: