Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Deep Breaths

It’s getting very close now. I think I’m going to go vote today. I have my voter’s registration and I’m good to go. Am I the only one who carries their voter’s reg with them all the time? It’s always in my wallet. I was talking to Lunch Buddy today about going and early voting while we still can and she said she doesn’t even know where her registration is. I was open mouthed at this. “What do you mean you don’t know where it is? how do you vote?” She answered that they never ask for it. Where has she been voting? I’m always asked for it when I vote.

Lunch Buddy also said that long lines at the poll would deter her from voting. A she votes for the wrong team, I didn’t work too hard to talk her out of that idea. She also reads Drudge, so she isn’t really a part of the Reality Based Community. I was going to say nasty things about Drudge but she may only read there for his occasional entertainment news. I read Drudge for that, years ago, before he drank the Kool Aid and lost his mind. Whatever. She probably reads it for his political content. Deep Breaths.

Another one of the people I work with came out of the Dem closet to me. She saw the magnet on my car and pulled me aside to whisper her encouragement. The other Dem here found me in the hall on Monday and reported he had voted on Friday and it “Felt Sooooo Goood!” this is a guy who ordered the neato keen KE04 magnets for his whole family and then had to order a few more when those got either stolen or defaced by Rove-ing GOP brownshirts. Little by little we won’t have to talk in whispers about who we back.

Have you noticed that the 380 tons of missing ammo has been spun out to the outer reaches in just one day? “It was gone when we got here”. Okay. No It wasn’t, that’s not true, but the “liberal media” only speaks to conservatives so they can you know, appear more “neutral”. Damage is all ready done though, the original story made such a huge splash that even the admins whirling dervishes can’t spin it away entirely. Last night on my dog walk with three or four of my neighbors called me over – they wanted to see who this white girl was and look at the Dogger up close. They were really, really nice. Great guys. We talked about the missing explosives – hugely outraged on that, they also had all seen F911 and could quote from it. The news of the 47 dead soldiers made them mad too, but I can’t say for sure they knew they were Iraqi and not U.S troops. Regardless, they are angry black men and they are tired of Bush and his war and the shitty economy and they are taking their anger to the polls.

We also talked about the neighborhood clean up, the problem with asshats using our neighborhood streets for drag strips and whether or not The Drug Dealer “respects” me or not. They were glad he did respect me, they know The Drug Dealer and they wish he lived in another neighborhood. I said something about not paying a lot of attention to him and his business, a way to maintain my plausible deniability if the cops ever come to my door. They told me not to deny anything to the cops, if I see something or know something, to tell the cops! ASAP. They want Drug Dealer out of their airspace, they don’t want to live in “da hood”, they want their neighborhood back. I told them I would be the first to call if I saw anything really objectionable. The first gun I see over there is the last gun I see over there. I have Tom Ridge on speed dial and I know Liddy Doles phone number. I take no prisoners.

We all agreed, Kerry is the Man, Bush Sucks and this is a nice place to live and we don’t care who lives here – as long as they mow their damn yard, don’t deal drugs and don’t drive like a crazy person.

No comments: