Friday, October 29, 2004

Try, Try, Again

I tried to go vote. I left with every intention of voting. I even thought I knew where I was supposed to go. It stands to reason that something called “Pullin Arts Center” would be in Pullin Park, where everything else called “Pullin” is located. So I went to Pullin Park. I wasn’t the only one either. It wasn’t there. I went into a building, the Pullin Aqua Center, and a woman gave me instructions. None of it made sense to me, but I figured if I could find Pullin Road, I should be okay. I couldn’t find Pullin Road.

Part of the instructions I kind of got included reference to the Bell Tower on campus. This should have alerted me gave up and just vote on Tuesday. But No, I kept on. I had left early for lunch and I was going to carry through on my mission. It’s a really good thing there was an Arbys along the way to the Mission or I wouldn’t haven eaten lunch either. Anyway. Stopped, had lunch, read my book. I took a deep breath and pulled the car out into traffic and went back towards campus.

It’s a freaking rabbit warren. Why do they suggest non-students even go there? No one can find there way around a foreign campus and the people on the campus can’t give directions because they know where everything is and can’t understand why you don’t. Students give lousy directions

Me – How do I get to X place?

Student – Um.

Me – X Place?

Student – Go through the Poli-Sci building –

Me – How do I get there in my car?

Student – Oh, wow. Um. Okay. You know where the Blah Hall is?

Me – No.

Student – Oh. I guess just go down there (pointing) and turn, probably.


Well. All about the helpful.

I finally find a sign, finally and it actually seems to be pointing in a direction I can get to in my car. I see a parking lot! Hurrah! I might get to vote today after all. I have heard that this polling place is slightly less busy then some of the others. Some one at work said she and her husband got out lucky where they went. She said they were back to their car after “only” two hours. Damn. But she had heard that Pullin was not as busy. Anyway. Yeah, it’s busy. I knew I found the right building when I saw the line.

Time passes. I left work at four so I could skip the rush at five. I thought an hour earlier then everyone else I would just walk in…

4:12 - Arrive at site.
Get in end of a very long line number 1.
Get back into the new end of the line number 1 after remembering that I left coke and cookies for long wait in car. (Helpful election worker cheerfully announces it’s a 2 hour wait from here)
Wait in line
Read book
Listen to cell phone calls around me
Wait in line
Read more of book
Wait in line
Finish book.
In building!
Read list of classes offered at “arts center”.
Wonder why this is called “arts center” when it is really a rec center
Wish had worn sneakers.
Arrive at front of line number 2.
Arrive at front of line number 3
I am voter number 4758!
5:45 – Back to car.

Did you know that there are other races being voted on this year? Like bond issues and Governors?



No comments: