Friday, November 19, 2004

Book’em Diana-o

I hear about this book club thing through the Young Democrats. Super. I said, but what if I don’t really want to read Al Frankens’ ourve? Shockingly, the club wasn’t reading that. The clubs first selection was Skipping Christmas. I never heard of it.

Before we left for NYC. I had to pick up a few things at the grocery and as I walked in the door I walked past the stores paperback display. Lo and behold, SC was front and center! Its just a little book and I did need something to read in the car so I bought it.

I enjoyed it. It’s a nice book. Despite being by John Grisham its short and to the point. Anyway, I enjoyed it and I was loking forward to going to the Book Club to talk about it.

Going being the operative word. I would have to go to the meeting. I looked up the address online and printed it out and put it my purse. I was good to go. Was.

But see, then I had to get there. My directions turned out to be faulty. Very faulty. I did get a tour of the campus of St. Augs, which is great. In the daytime. I don’t want to be wandering around there in the dark. A college campus is never the best place to wander around and I did not want to wander around. I ended up driving around and around and around. The street I was looking for never materialized since it was on the other side of town and I was losing what little patience I had with this driving around in circles in the dark thing, as well as becoming later and later to the meeting. I am never late. I hate late. I followed my little directions and got nowhere. I finally got pissed enough that I drove home and called the girl.

It turned out I wasn’t anywhere near her house. She offered to give me directions but I was not feeling it by then. I asked what the next book was going to be and she didn’t know, probably something by Ormound? The financial woman? Yeah, thrilling. I think I missed my first, last and only meeting of the book club.

I can not think of anything less worthy of what little free time I have to read then a stifling financial treatise authored by the woman PBS gives air time to instead of informaertials about exercise machines or kitchen cleaners. Maybe after the holidays they’ll settle down and choose something I want to read.


Keen eyed readers may have noticed I grew an ad. Yes, after telling Blogger to get their ads off my page or face my terrible bloggy wrath, I have an ad. I am a total blogwhore now, the shark has jumped... but my house payment jumped first so I don’t feel like as much of a sell out.

See, the payment went up and my income didn’t. Its amazing how that happens. Back when I first bought the house and signed all those papers it was one amount and then about a year later I got a check from my mortgage company and a mea culpa explaining that I had paid too much! And here was my check! Yeah. I should have seen that this was too easy. So now it turns out I wasn’t actually paying enough all this time and now I have to pay it back. They made a mistake and I get to pay for it. It was either stop eating or find ways of earning money that do not involve me getting a second job or selling plasma... so enter, Ad-man. Click that ad!

No comments: