Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Home ,Sick, Home!


I decided to call Brosky and Alphagal to tell them how fabulous New York is.

Me - NYC! OMG!

Brosky/Alphagal - Something is wrong with Dogger. What is the name of your vet?

Me - WTF!



Before I left for my trip, like the night before I noticed that Dogger had a sore spot under her ear. I got all Diana, Girl Veterinarian! and cleaned it up. Applied some triple antibiotic ointment and toped it off with some anti-itch cream for good measure. Problem solved, Dogger cured. I packed up Dogger and her crate, food, toys, leash, sweater, treats,two different bowls and my Dogger first aid kit and dropped them all off at Brosky and Alphagals - but not before I patted myself on the back for my amazing Dog Mothering skills and my awesome powers of observation.

Within two days they thought she was dieing.

She didn’t have a “sore spot” under her ear. She had a festering ear infection that was discharging and what I had been “treating” was the ooze stain on her fur. Awesome powers of observation my ass. If left in my care the dog would have died with anti-bacterial fur.

Yeah. So while I was having a fabulous time in The City, Broskey and Alphagal were sweating a sick neicdog and trying to find time to take her to her vet while worrying that she wasn’t going to live long enough to get to the vet. The dog couldn’t even stand up to eat, she wouldn’t come out of her crate and she just lay there. Dogger doesn’t just lay there in her sleep. She is a Mexican jumping bean of a dog. She is wild. So when this wild dog suddenly just lays there and won’t get up, it’s a worrisome thing.

So.


Brosky/Alphagal - So. Um. We looked on your fridge and there was couple of magnets from vets. Which vet are you using now?

Me - What?!

B/A - She’s sick.

Me - I put anti stuff on the scratch...

B/A - She doesn’t have a scratch. It’s her ear.

Me - Her ear?

B/A - Her ear.

Me - She scratched herself.

B/A - she scratched herself because her ear hurt. She tried to scratch whatever was HURTING her. She’s a dog. She did what she could.

Me - I put ointment on it. (I did what I could)

B/A - Tell us the name of your vet.


Alphagal had her suspicions about Doggers condition. Winston has had ear issues in the past and, shockingly, she didn’t treat those issues by dabbing cream on Winstons fur. She had actual, real life medicine and a flashlight. She went spelunking in Doggers ear and came back with a bucket full of dog earyeast infection. Blech.

Blech, yes. But, she fixed Dogger’s ear and made her not die.

What do you get some one who makes your dog not die? I went to Chinatown and found a paper chain of pretty flowers.

“Thank you Alphagal for saving my dog, here, have some paper flowers.”

Sigh.


Oh, I had a wonderful time in New York! It was everything I imagined it would be but even bigger and taller and more lighted up. I took five rolls of film and still needed to buy 22 post cards! I’ll post the pixs when I get them back. I’ve missed you guys.

Three Things I Learned in NYC

Obvious personal wealth is not an indicator of taste or breeding.

There are no fat people in Manhattan.

The laws of physics do not apply to cabs.

Wandering around Bergdorf Goodman will make you feel fatter and poorer then you were before you wandered into Bergdorf Goodman.

Avoid the minibar.

No comments: