Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Insert Seasonal Title Here

This afternoon while I was playing with my split ends, I mean, working diligently, which is what I do at work all day. Work Diligently. Work, work, work. That’s me. I’m a worker bee. I almost never check my home email or shop online or obsessively check Atrios to see if any new outrage has surfaced. Nope, not me. Work, work work.

Earlier, while I was alphabetizing or punching holes in things or pretending I was paying attention to what people were talking about when they asked me things – they are a lot like the grown-ups in a Charlie brown cartoon. They come in they say “Blah, Blah, something, something, Suchandsuch Nursing and Rehab?” and I find it and give it to them and then they say “Whatever, Whatever, 2567 for Whachamacallit at Blahdeblah?” and I pretend like I care and then they go away. It’s really sad. I don’t even know most of these people’s names. They seem to know my name, more or less but I can’t even begin to identify most of them. They all kind of look a like. Middle Aged former floor nurses and the odd burned out Social Worker or Dietitian. Mostly women, mostly roundish. I don’t see them enough to form attachments to them and so when I do see them I have to pretend I know who they are. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the name tags some of them wear would pretty much give anyone who walked in off the street anything they asked for, if they knew what to ask for. When they piss me off I don’t even know who I’m mad at. I go to Lunch Buddy and ask her who I’m talking about.

Me – Short and blond? Thinks she’s all that? Long hair?

LB – Did she used to have reddish hair?

Me – I don’t remember. I think she’s the one who wore flip flops to a facility?

LB - Um. So and So?

Me – No. I don’t think so. This one wears a lot of theme sweaters?

LB – Oh! Such and Such! I hate her!

Me – Yes! That one! She’s a big pain in my ass.

My lameness knows no bounds.

The only ones whose names I do learn are the ones who have pissed me off in the past; it was hard trying to do Christmas cards because I didn’t know the names of the few of my co-workers I actually do like.

Speaking of cards. I finally got some I was feeling very hurt. I even got one from a law firm I do too much business with. I love Christmas cards and everyone here mounts their cards like hunting trophies - See How Many People Like Me! You don’t have as many as I do, People don’t like you! And so its kind of a contest. Lunch Buddy has actually thrown a card away because she didn’t believe that the sender really felt the sentiment of the card! I was like “What! You actually read the card and then care about what it says? Who does that? It’s a Christmas card! Tape it to the wall and move on! Trashing cards! Because you don’t think the sender meant it? you need a vacation”.

Speaking of vacations. My morning site checking routine has gotten much shorter, and I’ve been forced to actually work during the day! Everyone I read is taking time off, well not everybody, but it seems like it. Well, I’m still posting and (insert self-rightous blogger voice here) will be, gosh darn it! until, like, um, tomorrow than its over the river and through the woods to Mom and Dads house for me.

No comments: