Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Ranting around the Christmas Tree

It snowed over the weekend. I didn’t actually see it snow, but my back yard was white when I came home and so it either snowed or my yard has the worst case of yard dandruff ever.

Kitty really wanted to go play in the yard yesterday but it was all ready close to dusk and the photo ops weren’t what they would have to be to make me go wander around in the snow myself. I told him if he really wanted to be cold I could put him into the refrigerator and close the door or if it was just cold feet he was jonesing for, he could walk barefoot on the bathroom floor at 6:05am. He opted to go roll around on his new catnip toy. Wise decision because after work tonight he will be out there and I will have my camera. I would hate for him to be out there for no reason especially when I have 800 speed film and a roll of Christmas pictures to finish. So, to sum up: outside for his reasons? Selfish Bastard, outside for my reasons? Team Player.

Since it did snow over the weekend, attendance at work today was down. As in years past when I answered the phones because I came to work, Call in’s abounded.

Lay about – I can’t come in.
Me – Why?
LA – The roads are a mess.
Me – I didn’t notice.
LA –It snowed!
Me – Yes.
LA – I can’t come in.
Me – I did.
LA – Well, you have a truck…
Me – Phhht.
LA- It’s cold out…
Me – Wear a coat.
LA – but it snowed!
ME – four days ago!
LA – Waahhh!
Me – How long have you lived in an environment where it snows regularly? Can you not prepare for this eventuality? Do you have some sort of memory lose issues? Can you not remember to park your car at the end of your driveway or in the street? How about being proactive about covering your windshield and having kitty litter or sand on hand? It’s called second gear! Use it!
LA – Click.

I hate these people. I come in if I have to swim to work. I don’t get paid enough to do it, but I do. I come to work. It’s called a Work Ethic. It’s what these people don’t have because they have been taught since elementary school that if you have to put some effort into coming to school, you shouldn’t have to come to school. They won’t come to work in the snow because they never had to go to school in the snow. God forbid they ever bother to learn to drive in it! I know they can walk in it because the streets are flooded with kids all day walking to the school to play in the snow. They go with the idea that if the kids out in the sticks can’t make it in, then nobody should make it in. They could pay to train the school bus drivers how to drive in the snow, but, hey!@#$%^! I know the school children in Minnesota make it to school over the winter in the snow, why can’t the school children in North Carolina? It really pisses me off when everyone else takes advantage of a little snow.

Let’s not even talk too much about lay abouts who blow off work because they “don’t feel well”. I don’t fell well either most days and I come to work. I would be the meanest boss ever.

Employee – I can’t come in.
Me – Are you dead?
Employee – No!
Me – And you aren’t coming in why?
Employee – I’m sick.
Me – Are you hospitalized?
Employee – Nooooo.
Me – Are you under doctors orders to not come to work?
Employee – Nooooo.
Me – Then, you’re late. We’ll talk about my tardy policy when you get here.

My Tardy Policy.

“Show up on time tomorrow or you’re fired.”


I will never be the boss.

No comments: