Thursday, January 20, 2005

Black Thursday

So. This is it. Today is the first day of another long, bloody, constitutional nightmare. We can look forward to the continued Vietnamization of Iraq and Afganistan with the possibility of Vietnamizationing of Iran at some point this year as well.

We can look forward to our Democratic leadership, what there is left of them, bloody from battle and in fear for their political futures sucking up to and laying down in front of the GOP, Martin Frost, brother, I am looking at you and I turn my eye darkly on the other dems that got in line and okayed Rice yesturday when they should have just said NO, and we can look forward to the more steam roller tactics from the RNC. Hell, they don't even have to stem roller us, our elected dems seem to lay down just fine on their own.

But.

There are Barbara Boxers and John Kerry's out there and there are a few Democratic folks in leadership who are not asleep at the wheel and hopefully our anger will help fuel them. I’m all for continued partisan politics. I want our democratic representatives in Washington and in our state houses to be huge pains in the ass. I don’t want a discussion about what to eat for lunch to happen with out blood shed. I want those people to argue and complain and slow down everything that crosses their paths. If the GOP and their brown shirts want to cry wolf about being picked on, I want us to give them something to be crying about . I want to make those people hurt. If they want to pretend they are victims I say make them into victims, they want to carry that sad flag, make them carry their wounded in it. I want to see all elected Democrats fight like hell. I don’t want anything to be passed for any reason. I don’t care if it’s before the Senate to declare it “Little Johnny Smith Day” as a favor for some red state senators’ littlest cousin little dieing Johnny Smith, I want our leadership to vote NO, and I want nothing to pass with out a fight. Nothing.

I want us, that is the great unwashed “us” to bitch and moan and make as much noise about nothing as the brown shirts have been. I want the grass roots to turn blue. I was thrilled when enough people called that red neck Mississippi librarian a “commie and a fascist” and forced that low life to put America – The Book back on the shelves – true it was only off for a day and the libraries weren’t open anyway, but still. We must be heard and we have to do things like that. Any time there is a chance to make ourselves heard we must do it. If you go to a site and it says “Call your reps and bitch about this”, call your damn reps and bitch about it to them! Learn who they are and get them on your speed dial! Don’t let them rest for one minute. If your rep is a rethuglican and chances are your rep is a rethuglican, call them just to let them know you didn’t vote for them and yet they still manage to disappoint you or better yet, lie to the bastard and tell them you voted for them and they did something you, a voter didn't like. If your rep is a democrat, ride them hard, keep up with their voting record and don’t let them betray you. Remind them how they got there and how easy it would be for them to never get a chance to go back, you did the hard work and wrote the checks that got them elected, and you can write checks to get someone else elected next time. You own them. They will forget, don’t let them forget.

And then there is this Not One Red Cent. I should hide myself away? Make myself invisible? Pout in a corner till its over? Bull shit. I’m not hiding or pouting, I’ve been doing that since November. Go out and be seen, be heard! Spray paint your pennies blue, but don’t hide yourself or them, away – don’t make your contribution to this day be your absence from this day. Be seen and be heard. Wear black and tell people why you’re dressed for a funeral, if widows weeds aren’t your thing, wear blue and be proud. Don’t hide.

I’m not going to the coronation but if I was, I would be doing this, Turn Your Back on Bush. If you want to help out progressives while being trendy check out I – Did – Not –Vote-4-Bush stuff, it’s cheap and goes to a good cause.

Can’t do any of the above, join me as I hum this all day.


1. We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome some day

Chorus:
Oh deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome some day


2. We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand some day
Chorus:

3. We shall all be free
We shall all be free
We shall all be free some day
Chorus:

4. We are not afraid
We are not afraid
We are not afraid today
Chorus:

5. We are not alone
We are not alone
We are not alone today
Chorus:

6. The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around some day
Chorus:

7. We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome some day
Chorus:


From INGB.com


edited to add, North Carolina goes red and this is what happens to us.I live in the SOUTH damn it! it is not supposed to snow! its' supposed to be the freaking tropics! we have banana republicans and warm weather. I feel gyped. This weather system is Bushs' fault.

No comments: