Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Silver Screen

As well know by now the Oscar™ nominations came out. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the nominees. I have no horse in the race this year, which makes me sad. I love movies, I really like going to the movies and lately I haven’t seen much of anything – even counting on DVD. I think I’ve gotten out of the habit of going to the movies – but it’s not my fault. It’s the fault of The Industry for turning out drek and deciding that no one over the age of 14 should be entertained. I mean Hillary Duff? The Olsen Twins? The Simpson sisters?! Have careers?! They can’t act, sing or make jokes. Providing parents with cheap childcare? There has to be a better reason these people get paid the big bucks. What other reason would there be to buy these stinkers much less watch anything with an Olsen Twin or anything with Princess in the title – Ann Hathaway I am looking at you. Its all about the babysitting.

I was looking at a list of the 100 top grossing movies of 2004 and I had only seen f of them. Two out of a hundred. That’s just sad. And its not like I can say “Well, I saw Art Film “A”, “B” and “C”, because films that are not in wide release don’t make it here where they euphemistically refer to as “Everywhere” but really mean “Places where they wouldn’t go on a bet”. So, it’s not like I was watching art films instead of Spiderman whatever. I didn’t even make it a point to go see grown up movies. Kinsey went right past me and I didn’t even try to go see it. I am so lame. I did see F911 and I watched Garden State on DVD. Wait, I did go to the theater to see Oceans 12 and Harry Potter! ! I am kind of still on the Pop Culture train!

On To The Nominations.

Best Picture

THE AVIATOR - Didn’t see it, probably still won’t
FINDING NEVERLAND – Possibly, but I’m not going to go out of my way to run out and see it.
MILLION DOLLAR BABY – Boxing. Girl Boxing. Wasn’t this all ready a movie with Michelle Rodriguez? I don’t do boxing reguardless of who is getting pummeled.
RAY – Is it wrong to say no to a movie just because the hype is annoying me?
SIDEWAYS – It’s this years Lost in Translation, a way for the voters to make themselves feel hip. I might see this. I too, want to feel hip.

Directing

Martin Scorsese – Just give him the damn trophy all ready.
Clint Eastwood – He all ready has his.
Taylor Hackford – No thoughts.
Alexander Payne – Not a damn chance.
Mike Leigh - Right.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Don Cheadle for HOTEL RWANDA – I want him to win.
Johnny Depp for FINDING NEVERLAND – He should have had kids years ago, he’s finally decided that he can work and not bathe, but he still doesn’t need to get nominated every year to reward him for it.
Leonardo DiCaprio for THE AVIATOR – He’s trying for the gravitas but still, no trophy for you Growing Pains boy!
Clint Eastwood for MILLION DOLLAR BABY – He has his.
Jamie Foxx for RAY – Not this year, not this roll. I really don’t want him to slip into Cuba Goodingland.

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Alda for THE AVIATOR – Hawkeye!
Thomas Haden Church for SIDEWAYS – Lowell? they nominated Lowell? No! it was suposed to be that Paul Gimo whatever guy the other guy, the other guy! morons. They nominated the wrong guy.
Jamie Foxx for COLLATERAL – Whatever. I know sharing air space with Cruise is tough, but really.
Morgan Freeman for MILLION DOLLAR BABY – Just give him a trophy, he has to get something for allowing baby actors to boss him around.
Clive Owen for CLOSER – Not as close as you think.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Annette Bening - BEING JULIA - Is this a real movie? I mean, has anyone seen it?
Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE – Maria Full of Baggies.
Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE – So grown up, so mature, so boring.
Hilary Swank for MILLION DOLLAR BABY – Look I’m totally unattractive! Again!
Kate Winslet for ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND – Look! I survived Titanic I have done a lot of art films! Reward me for agreeing to work with Jim Carrey!

Best Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett for THE AVIATOR – I miss the real Kate Hepburn.
Laura Linney - KINSEY – Always good, all ready rewarded for goodness?
Virginia Madsen for SIDEWAYS – Even character actors need love.
Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA – A nice gesture, but…
Natalie Portman for CLOSER – Awe.

No comments: