Friday, February 25, 2005

Its rainnnniiinngggg aggg-ain

Damn it. It didn’t snow. All I wanted was one little act of gawd to keep people out of my office for a day and all I get is a little rain. Rain is not adequate to keep people out of my office and off my phone. I needed enough of an act of gawd to keep anyone, including me from going to work today. Actually, didn’t want to come to work at all, I was hoping if gawd couldn’t make it snow maybe he could hit me with a little stomach flu. I wanted to stay at home.

Yesterday it came from on high that I needed to clean my office. Like Now. Like Right Now. Like stay here and work like a whirling dervish until you can’t stand it and then come in really early tomorrow morning to finish it up Right Now. So I did. There is nothing like the fear of a sit down with my ultimate boss to make me a very motivated little employee. I cleaned, I put up, I hid, I threw away and I alphabetized, I even boxed up and labeled. I was a machine; and then I got up early and came in and finished it up.

So, this morning when they came in they just looked around, and left, well, one did make a snippy remark about paper clips on the floor but I tried to think positive thoughts about her. It’s not like I was here until 6pm or back at 6:30 am or anything and then one of them said “I heard that you guys worked hard on this”, I said “I”, “I, worked hard on this” because damn it, I did. I mean the heads up at 3:45 from new boss, helped a lot. I mean, like hugely. I would be so far up shit creek now I would even need a paddle – it would be all about clinging to the bowl for me – but I did the work. Me. There was no “us”, it was me. I hate feeling like I owe her, but she was really pleased to see how nice the office looked this morning. She doesn’t want the bosses on her ass anymore then I want them on mine, and they were there, on her ass and I got them off. Yay. For now. And the office wasn’t all that bad; it looked like a working office, now it looks like a room with a lot (23) file cabinet in it. Whatever. It’s done.

Last night while I was at the office panic cleaning I was supposed to be up at the rec center with Dogger letting a new group of kids play with her, I had promised on Tuesday that I would be back to see them yesterday and I wasn’t. I feel really bad because they had asked me to be there again and I didn’t show up. I think its exactly what those kids need is another adult letting them down, and even better, a white adult letting them down. They were adorable little kids too. It’s raining now and I don’t know if it’s supposed to stop and if those kids are going to be at the rec center this evening or if they will be there Friday. I don’t know if they would buy “I had to work”. I was going to go, I was kind of looking forward to it, I like walking Dogger. I meet nice people and have made some friends. It lets me be a part of the neighborhood and makes me feel like I belong there. If I do it enough I may be able to graduate from that white girl who walks the big dog to Diana, who walks the big dog. They all ready know Dogger’s name, I think it would be nice if they knew mine.

No comments: