Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Home Sweet Home


I missed The Kitty while I was dog sitting. I missed my little furry bed warmer. Thanks to the dogs, I didn’t have to miss him while I was watching TV, but I did miss having him purr in my ear during commercials. The dogs don’t purr.
At night, I did not miss The Kitty in his White Noise machine mode. I didn’t have to. There was no noise to white out. There were no fire trucks, police sirens, ambulances, car horns, rap music, drag races, mini motorcycles or impromptu street dances. It was silent.It was also dark. The neighbors turned their lights off at 10pm. I was like “Gee, shouldn’t you leave your lights on for a little longer? I mean, if you turn them off too early “they” might think you’re asleep all ready” or whatever rational is used as to why you Must Keep Your Porch Lights On; along these same lines, very few Burglar Alarm signs in yards. I guess the deer aren’t going to break in and if they do, they aren’t afraid of the cops – who by dint of the neighborhood being located behind robin hoods barn, couldn’t get there fast enough to scare them off anyway. Another thought while I was enjoying the silence, no fire station. I’ve lived with in shouting distance of fire stations for years. They make a lot of noise but I feel very secure in knowing that if my house is burning down they can see the smoke from the station. I also missed having the paper delivered to my doorstep. I forgot what a bummer it can be to have to go search for the paper in the morning. I opened the door and the paper wasn’t where it was supposed to be! I was like “excuse me? I have to walk clear out to the end of the drive way? The Hell you say?”

I wondered what The Kitty was doing while Dogger and I were gone. I didn’t see any tell tale torn up paper or broken china or rearranged video tapes or Dogger shaped voodoo dolls lying about. I came home Saturday so that I could do laundry and The Kitty didn’t seem to notice or care I was there until I vacuumed in a room he wasn’t in and he made a big show of hiding under my bed. He even took his time eating the food I left out and he didn’t spill his water, he didn’t even leave cat bombs around. He did whatever he does when I’m gone. He didn’t make like kitty fly paper when I got home as he has done in the past. He didn’t behave like he was unusually anxious or upset. I left his little butt alone for three days and he didn’t care. Much.

He cared enough though that last night he ran around all night long celebrating! I think it was celebratory running around. I don’t really know if he was happy to see me again or if he was punishing me for coming back. He eventually stopped his celebrating/punishing, it could go either way with him, about five minutes before my alarm went off.

He didn’t used to like it if I left him even briefly- the first time I was going to leave him alone at night; he shat on my bed before I had even left the house. He punished me if I went to the store or checked the mail or dumped the trash. Subsequently, he developed into a very good traveler. I think in a past life he was a trucker or a cab driver. The Kitty wants to see the USA in his Chevrolet. He has chilled out, ands gasp. matured. I left him for two weeks while I went on vacation and he didn’t shat on my bed at all. He may very well prefer me gone. I don’t think it really bothered him that he was on his own this weekend until his food dish was empty and by that time I was home.

I did miss him, the dogs give lousy facials.

No comments: