Wednesday, March 30, 2005

So. You got your Living Will

Now what?

You may find it harder then you expected to find people to sign on as witnesses. You have to go up to them, put the paperwork in front of them and give them a pen. You also have to hope they don’t want to read what they are signing. I mean, what of they don’t agree? What if I ask a co-worker who in their real life is a hard core right wing whack jobs? I have to work with these people and it helps if I don’t hate them. I would soon as not know if they were hard core right wing whack jobs. In my case, I work with bureaucrats; we would sign our own death warrant if you put it in front of us while we were on the phone. Another problem for me if not for you, I work with Health Care Professionals, I don’t want to discuss various diagnosis with them, I don’t want to hear stories of long drawn out death scenes – this is why I have The Will to begin with. I also don’t want to feel in debted to these people anything – I don’t want to become better friends or have them expect some sort of new and improved relationship because they signed it. I just want them to sign it and keep moving. But first I have to work up the courage to ask them to sign it in the first place.

Lunch Buddy would be a perfect candidate for this except Lunch Buddy isn’t here today, or she is and she is here and came in late and I forgot to check if she was here before I went to lunch (bad, bad, Diana) or whatever. She might be ticked that I lunched without her and then I go in and say “Hey, do me a favor? Sign this”, she may not want to or have issues I don’t know about or whatever. There is another person in that office and I could ask her while I ask LB, but then I still have to find person number three and get it notarized – which I can also do here if I can grow the balls to walk down the hall and ask one of the notaries if she will notarize my stuff, again, something I think she would so, I’m pretty sure she signs Living Wills too because she signs them for folks at the Hospital. But that is work related and this is personal. But. But. I have to ask her first and I am just not wanting to do that. I had the nerve to draw up the paperwork to say “Under these circumstances I do not want to live” But I can’t get the nerve up to ask my friends to sign it.

I could, in theory go to a UPS store like the instructions I got with the paperwork suggest, and let them notarized it for me and I’m pretty sure they would sign it to. I’m better at asking strangers for favors then people I know. Hell, I think I signed one for some random person somewhere along the line. It wasn’t a big deal. I could also go door to door on my street, I bet the nice neighbors would sign for me, but I would have to ask…

The Triumph of The Will my ass. Mind over matter, my lack of will v. My Will .

Edited to add – Yay! One down two to go!!

And, Blogger is bluggered. If it wasn’t totally free and easy enough for even me to use? I would so be out of here. But it is free and easy to use and I can afford free - and when a service is free, you have to learn not to look it in the mouth.

No comments: