Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Again, from the top.


I made an appointment with my eye doctor. I thought my prescription had changed, I?m pretty good at judging this, I've had a lot of practice over the years. I'm not in the habit of making social calls on my doctors, I go when I need to. I needed to go.

As it turns out my prescription has changed, a little there was also a little change last year - two little changes in a row mean a moderate change in my vision which is usually indicated by headaches. Splitting headaches. So. I made an appointment, got off early from work, drove to the doctors office, waited around, got drops in my eyes and performed poorly in the exam. As expected.

The doctors office was a little hurt that I wasn't planning on getting my glasses there. They have a small selection and I'm not wild about the frames anyway. True, they are cheap, but I have to wear these everyday and so I would like it if they would be ya know, nice looking. I'm vane, sue me. I'm willing to pay a bit over what the insurance takes care of - a big $100! which doesn't go far, trust me to get something that I'm going to be comfortable wearing every single day all day, to every occasion, for the next two years.

I drive myself to the frame place. This is was tricky with dilated eyes. It was kind of like lugeing. I get there, I peer blindly at the frames, I try on many, many , many pairs until I find one that I think looks all right. My eyes are pretty blearly at this point, so I guess it's really debatable whether they are the right ones.I have to trust in strangers who could quite possibly be sociopaths - at the frame store to give me an honest thoughts on them. I don't really know what a pair of frames looks like until my scrip is in them and by that time its too late for buyers remorse, if they suck, well I suck.

Okay. Frames picked out, measured, the whole thing. The girl comes back and tells me that according to my insurance I can't get these frames on their dime until October. Late in October. Its APRIL. I must have got glasses in October of 2003. I needed them. Now they tell me I can't get them now when I need them again. The girl suggests I call my insurance and talk to them about it.


So with out help from my insurance financing new frames I can take my new prescription to Sams Club or some other cheap-o place where I can afford to buy frames myself and pick through all three of their cheap outre' frames and spend the next six months seething and avoiding mirrors - when I can make another appointment with my doctor, take off work again, drive to the office again, wait around again, get drops in my eyes again, perform badly on the exam again, pay for my doctors office visit myself, take the script back to the frames place and start again.


Edited to add - I tried to give blood yesterday? got turned down there too.

No comments: