Friday, April 1, 2005

Be careful what you wish for

All day I’ve sat around trying to look busy. I made a list of things I wanted to get done and then did them. I was shocked too, I learned never to make those lists because it was a way of calling attention to my free time and something was always dumped on my head the minute I got started on it and I never end up being able to start much less finish my lists. I saw making plans for the day as a way of bringing on bad luck and much hassle to what could have been a good day had I not got all efficient and list making-y.

Today I got my list done. I had that list finished by twenty after nine. Okay. Now what. I filed a little bit and got ready for an office birthday.

We got into a lively discussion of the mess in Florida and that was interesting. The resident MD coming squarely down on the Right –To – Die side while the secretaries went with the crazed parents. One of the secretaries said even if a loved one had a living will she would not respect it because she would assume that the decision was made when they were healthy and so they couldn’t possibly have meant it and now that they were totally incapacitated and on deaths door they must want to live in that condition forever. Oddly? No. This is a logic I can’t work with. A healthy person can say “I don’t want to be a vegetable” but in the chance they do become a vegetable they should stay that way because even as a dust catcher they are still alive? A dust catcher with a pulse? that’s a rockin’ life style choice and even more rockin’ if it wasn’t your choice in the first place. I don’t see how forcing some one to become live like that is a loving act

.No one wants to be a dust catcher. There are those who are born dust catchers and for them, it's what they know, all they know is the dust catcher way of life they don’t get the chance to say “Hey, you know what? I think this is not the way I want to be”, but they don’t because they are dust catchers. She said Gawd would decide when her loved one died and she would leave them on life support until that happened, but what is life support but a way of telling Gawd “No”? Whatever with these people. It was nice to have a discussion at work over a birthday lunch that was more meaty then the usual American Idol banter. Lunch was real good too.

So any way. I did pretty much nothing all day. I checked my forums, read my sites and got up with the news – 2pm. Okay. Now what? Well, now the phone started to ring and ring and ring. My phone hasn’t rung in two weeks and all of a sudden I’m running my own telethon. I hate that. And even better? Every single caller wanted whatever it was RIGHT NOW – which would be fine if my phone hadn’t been ringing off the wall.

And I have more filing! All of a sudden I’m having to priorize things. I haven’t had to do that in weeks. I did everything as I got it because I didn’t have anything to do. And I was bitching about it. Moron.

What else? It’s Friday! Woo. And it’s raining. That just makes it so much more special then if was sunny and pretty. I don’t see Dogger getting a long walk in the park while it’s raining. I see Dogger getting a short walk around the front yard while it’s raining. She needs a long walk or she will make me miserable all evening but the rain makes it so wet and hard for me to get excited about going out and wandering around in it. It does have the relative warmth going for it, but wet and warm is only marginally better then wet and cold – okay, it’s a lot better but its still wet and it makes Dogger and then the whole house smell like wet dog. I don’t love that smell. Its better then puppy pee, but pretty much everything is better then dog pee.

So. Happy thoughts, happy dry thoughts. Have a Good Weekend!

No comments: