Friday, April 8, 2005

Pilgrims Progress

I came in the door yesterday and saw what looked like one of those huge hunting cockroaches lying on its back on the kitchen floor. First I thought “good, its dead” then I thought,"Huge!Cockroach!AAAAAGH!, then I went to “I really need to clean the kitchen.” I took my sunglasses off and the giant hunting cockroach morphed into a giant bumble bee and it wasn’t as dead on its back as I had thought.

It was kicking its legs in fury. It wasn’t quite dead but it was working on it. This bee was so big I couldn’t just squish it in a paper towel and flush it; I had to go through its pockets to find its wallet and see if it had any next of kin to notify then I had to send for a funeral home to get the nasty creature out of my house. The viewing by the way, will be tonight and Friday and the family requests pollen in lue of cards.

Kitty did it; he was sitting right by it when I walked in the door. I think, he committed bee slaughter - I mean I assume that he saw it fluttering around and brought it to ground and tormented it until I got home to step on it ( twice!) and properly dispose of it ( let it lay there in state for a couple of hours until I had the nerve to go pick it up and flush it) So I went from saying “I’ve really got to do something about this kitchen” to “How did something that big get in here?”, the windows were all closed and locked, there are no missing panes and while I do use the screen doors in the evenings, there aren’t any rips in either screen door large enough to let gigantor the bumblebee in. I mean, granted, it was large enough to knock on the door and demand to be let in , but the alarm was on and Kitty doesn’t have the pass code to let anyone in much less the worlds largest bumble bee. And so now I have to worry about the bee and how it got in and if it was just a scout and somewhere in my house is an encampment of giant bumble bee pilgrims running away from bumblebee HQ waiting to hear back from it before they take off and settle in my kitchen cabinets or in the walls or where ever it is that giant bumblebees hang out when they move into your house.

I don’t have time to play hide and seek with bugs right now. I have laundry to do, packing to accomplish and lawn mowing to keep in mind and I need to do all of the above before I leave out of here this afternoon. The laundry is going to be the priority because I can’t pack for the weekend if I don’t have any clean clothes to take with me, the lawn I could get done while the laundry is laundering and before I pack. The animals are further along in the process than I am, while I was at lunch I got more cat dust for kitty and earlier in the week I worked it out with Brosky so that I don’t have to heft Doggers crate and take it with me. Yay.
The kitchen is not going to get cleaned this weekend again and by the time I get back the gigantic bumble bees will have set up housekeeping and most likely will have changed the locks and the pass code.

No comments: