Monday, July 18, 2005

All Weekend with my nose in a....


Dogs armpit.


Yeah. While the rest of the reading public spent the last 48 hours preoccupied with the events in the Potterverse, I spent my weekend preoccupied with events in my dogs arm and leg pits. Lovely places to visit, a dogs arm and leg pits. I suggest you take the whole family! Big Fun, let me tell you. It’s a visit to a whole ‘nother world! Its full of drama, angst and exciting new friends!

Harry Potter Day, I got up, got ready and took care of Dogger. And then I waited. And waited. And waited. I waited outside reading book five in preparation for book six. I sat outside with Dogger until it got closer to mailman time and I took Dogger inside in preparation for his arrival. In the past, injudicious use of Dogger in the yard has led to the mailman skipping my house all together - I was not going to risk that, not on Harry Potter Day and then I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, it was 3: 00 in the afternoon and I really had to stop waiting and leave the house. I was beginning to believe that the mailman had again skipped my neighborhood. He does this - Just doesn’t show up, usually on Saturdays. I hate him.. I decided that a watched mail slot does not get filled and I left.

Several hours later, I returned to find a card stuck to my door. DAMN! I know what that card means:

Although we're not requiring a signature, we still recommend that someone be home to accept the package, as the driver may not leave it on your doorstep if they don't feel it's safe to do so.

“Safe to do so” Mailman should know better. That same mailman has “felt safe” enough to have left all make and model of stuff at my door over the years and he deemed it “safe” enough then! So have the UPS guys. Over the years delivery men have felt comfortable leaving a box the size of a baby elephant housing a lamp out in plane sight - true the lamp only cost $4 but the shipping was a bitch - the delivery man felt good about leaving that out and he felt comfortable leaving my way kewl new purse inside the door and it cost more then the book! But No, mailman looked around saw the drug dealers’ homeboys out washing their SUVs and looking all intent on detailing their cars! And those scary hoses with hardcore spray attachments! Must have terrified him, And all those chamois must have made him piss his pants. Not only homeboys washing their cars! there were all these little kids playing cops and robbers! the little tiniest boy was using a dogs choke chain as his hand cuffs and that could look a little harsh, but he was the good guy! And true he was waving a gun around but it was plastic but he hardly ever aims it directly at you, he mostly drinks from it. The little guys questionable choice in hydration is not what scared the mailman. My neighborhood could be, if you squint, be seen as “Da ‘Hood” by people who don’t know better, and who have never actually been to a “real” ‘hood. I live in the nice part of the ‘Hood. If you look at it straight on, its really more like a ‘Hoodie. But no, I am forced the wait for my book.

I wasn’t going to read it yet anyway. I was just going to read a little of it. I’m taking it on vacation with me and I want to start with a fresh read. I’m planning on being strong. But still? The mailman had no reason to not “feel safe” about leaving it. I’m thinking I’m going to “feel good” about making a phone call first of business today.

No comments: