Friday, July 15, 2005

The Obligatory Who Should Win, Who Will(at least in the few categories I care about…) Entry

COMEDY SERIES
"Arrested Development" (Fox)
"Desperate Housewives" (ABC)
"Everybody Loves Raymond" (CBS)
"Scrubs" (NBC)
"Will & Grace" (NBC)


I would lay money Arrested Development walking away with this. It has a small, cultish following, mostly among TV critics and their families and it is hard to follow and populated by trying, boorish characters. I dislike Desperate Housewives, hate Everybody Loves Raymond, got tired of Will and Grace and never watched Scrubs. I don’t watch any of them and could care less about the outcome

Should
Arrested Development
Will
Desperate Housewives

DRAMA SERIES
"Deadwood" (HBO)
"Lost" (ABC)
"Six Feet Under" (HBO)
"24" (Fox)
"The West Wing" (NBC)


Deadwood and Six Feet Under are both on HBO so they fall under the “Expensive Cable I Can’t Afford” rule, (They should not compete with shows bound by network constrants and censers. There should be separate categories for cable shows. I’m not asking for a return to the Cable Ace days, I just think that unless they all work under the same constraints they should not compete together) So nothing for them. Lost could be fun but they are bringing on new cast next season and unless they rapidly age the baby, there should not be new people, ever - So nothing for them. West Wing? I don’t think so, 24? Took the place of House or Rescue Me . Nothing for it either.

Should
NYPD Blue
Will
Deadwood

ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
"Arrested Development" (Fox) Jason Bateman
"Everybody Loves Raymond" (CBS) Ray Romano
"Monk" (USA) Tony Shalhoub
"Scrubs" (NBC) Zach Braff
"Will & Grace" (NBC) Eric McCormack


I still hate Everybody Loves Raymond so by extension I still hate Ray Romano, Will and Grace I am meh about so also by extension, meh about Eric McCormack, I like Monk but Shalhoub just won something for this part, so meh. I do like Bateman and Braff, and I really liked Garden State.

Should
Zach Braff
Will
Ray Romano

ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
"Boston Legal" (ABC) James Spader
"Deadwood" (HBO) Ian McShane
"House" (Fox) Hugh Laurie
"Huff" (Showtime) Hank Azaria
"24" (Fox) Kiefer Sutherland


Huff and Deadwood are out of the running due to my ECICA rule. Spader and Sutherland get Brat Pack points but Laurie is on a show I actually watch and enjoy so.

Should
Hugh Laurie
Will
Ian McShane

INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE IN A VARIETY OR MUSIC PROGRAM
"The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" (Comedy Central) Jon Stewart, Host
"The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" (NBC) Jay Leno, Host
"58th Annual Tony Awards (2004)" (CBS) Hugh Jackman, Host
"Tracey Ullman Live & Exposed" (HBO) Tracey Ullman, Performer
"Whoopi Back To Broadway - The 20th Anniversary" (HBO) Whoopi Goldberg, Performer


Jon Stewart all the way. I hate Leno, don’t really like awards show's awarding other awards shows, Tracy Ullman and Whoopie Goldberg’ shows fall under the ECICA rule, so

Should
Jon Stewart
Will
Jon Stewart

VARIETY, MUSIC OR COMEDY SERIES
"Da Ali G Show" (HBO)
"The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" (Comedy Central)
"Late Night With Conan O'Brien" (NBC)
"Late Show With David Letterman" (CBS)
"Real Time With Bill Maher" (HBO)


I’m still Jon Stewarts’ girl., Allie G has no business being rewarded for anything and falls under my ECICA rule as does Bill Maher who I have no thoughts on, I like David Letterman and Conan O’Brian but I can’t stay up to watch them and they don’t repeat on Comedy Central the next day for my viewing convenience.

Should
Jon Stewart
Will
David Letterman

No comments: