Thursday, July 7, 2005

Randomness


I hurt my knee over the weekend. I was attempting to be all “X-Treme!” and jump from one side of a tiny creek to the other side of a tiny creek and ended up on my knees in the middle. I got up, cursed the creek for being, well, creeky, because I now had traipse through the forest with wet socks and went on. I should mention that it was dark and I was in a hurry. I did note that I had skinned my knee - nothing says “Hi, I’m a grown up” like a skinned up knee. I was planning to tell people I skinned it after I returned a serve with my killer back hand and while I was going to volley back my opponents return I slipped and hit the ground and went into the net and still managed to win the point – if I am going to lie about how I hurt myself, I prefer to go big.

Anyway, by the time I came back to civilization I had grown a knot on my knee the size of a grape fruit half and the whole knee was purple. It was very gross. Alphagal iced it and I watched TV until my knee numbed and left so I could spend 40 minutes sitting in traffic watching my knee to turn into something that normally lives on a reef and eats plankton. Good news is, while it is stiff, it doesn’t hurt – Yet.

I go back to work and other then a purely psychosomatic limp, go blythly about my business. I do not ice it as much as I should, okay, at all. Everything is fine and the grapefruit half as shrunk to an apple. The bruise however seems to be expanding. I opt to not walk Dogger, which isn’t all that big an issue since it was raining torrentially and aftrer it stopped, it was too hot.

Day 2 of sore knee. The knot is now the size of an apple wedge and I can see almost my entire knee cap. The bad news is that it kind of hurts. I start to ice it. It hurts more. I still have normal range of motion and no limp. I stop iceing it. I think as long as I don’t wear shorts for a while no one will know or I could wear shorts and say I hurt myself skate boarding or rock wall climbing or whatever it is the young folks do to tempt death these days.

So long story short: Fell down, Swollen, Purple, Stiff knee, Less Swollen, Less Stiff, More purple knee.


What else?

Long time readers will notice that its summer and I haven’t said anything about my vacation and what I am going to do with the animals. I know you can’t wait. Dogger is staying with Broskey, Alphagal and Nephdog while The Kitty is going to drive cross country with my parents and New Kitty. I am flying and instead of carting Kitty’s fat self through airports I will be carting Harry Potter 6’s fat self instead. Harry is going to arrive seven days before I leave which means while the rest of the world is camped out reading it, talking about it and generally adding it to the culture I will be Amish and stay away. It will be like lent only shorter and just me. I will be strong. Its’s going to be another thick one right? Maybe I won’t have to be all that strong? Maybe I can read a few chapters? The last time a Harry Potter book came out I waited on the porch for the mail man and grabbed it out of his hands as he came in on his approach. I read the whole damn book over the weekend. It’s going to be a tough seven days. To think the last time I carried a Harry Potter book through airports, it wasn’t my book, I pissed and moaned about the weight of it and didn’t even try to read it.

No comments: