Friday, July 8, 2005

Waiting

Let’s see. I washed the dog, applied copious amounts of anti-flea to both animals and did my laundry, if Cindy promises to hold off dropping the predicted rain on us until say, tomorrow, I might just get my lawn mowed tonight. It’s so nice for things to be so calm. Dogger hates me because I haven’t walked her in a few days but I have this fear of her doing one of her freak outs and hurting my knee for real and I don’t want to go there. If it stays clear here she might get a walk tonight or I might just blow that off and mow the lawn instead.

Of course, Dennis is coming and that does not add to my sense of calmness. I’m not going to my traditional battery/water/junk food buy this time – which should result in a storm of epic proportions and I will kick myself for being so laid back with my storm preparedness. At the same time, I would rather have some minor storm anxiety then be in central London today and tomorrow and for the next stretch of time. Why did the bombers do that if the desired result was to have the British pull their troops from Iraq? Why would making them angry and staving their governments resolve to continue fighting be a good outcome? It doesn’t seem rational. The Spanish pulled out , but the Spanish were going to pull out regardless, they were all ready mad at the government and they were going to vote them out even if they hadn’t been the victims of terrorism.

If you wanted to be the terrorism worlds new It Boys, why not blow up the G8 gathering? The big chiefs, the high and mighty the big bold face names that actually have some sway as to what happens to the world. Why bother with blowing up work a day folks in the subway? What does that prove? How does it help the terrorists to piss off the British populous and make them feel picked on and victimized? Why make them hate you? Why give them a reason to fight? What do the terrorists hope to gain with this latest outrage? It’s not like Great Briton is a Red State nation, they never wanted to be in Iraq and the occupation has never been popular there. You know, until now. Why bring the war to them? Why involve them on a personal level in it and make them hate the bombers and their cause. Why make killing more of your people seem like less of a big deal? Why make it an eye for an eye? If anything, this attack will make the war in Iraq more popular and probably end up helping with enlistment as well as support for the war on both sides of the Atlantic. Why wake a sleeping dragon? Why make it personal?

The death count was mercifully low and the injured, while in the hundreds, was not as bad as it could have been - any number would be too many, but it could have been even worse and caused even more bloodshed – which makes me ask, if you were going to bomb the bejesus out of a people, what was this series of bombings supposed to prove? In what way was this going to frighten the British out of Iraq? They’ve fought the devil and all his minions and won, and then when the last group of terrorists thought that they could bomb them into submission, they didn’t win either and only ended up harming themselves, their families and their country and their cause. Why take your war to a people who are more then prepared to fight back? And no doubt will, with a vengeance.

No comments: