Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Mail Call


Dear SWT/Texas State Ex-Student,
(Obliviously, at a better school we would be addressed as “alumni or alumnae”.)

The rumors on the grapevine and the internet are true. (Yes, the internets are abuzz. Hmm. I did get an email from a stranger asking if “I was coming?” but I deleted it as an email version of an obscene phone call…)

Its time for our first ever on-campus SWT/Texas State Theatre Reunion! (So, on campus? no booze? A theatre party with out drunks?).It doesn’t matter whether you were a major or not. (I bet it would help though,) of you were ever involved with the Theatre Department, then you and your guests are invited to attended (So, like does that include anyone who dated a theatre major? Went to a show? Was one of those people who stuck around for a semester had a break down and never came back? Came to the green room one time, looked around and decided that maybe it might be easier to get their MRS as a Business major? Throw a wide net why don’t you). what we hope will be the largest departmental ex-students ( We're called ALUMNI! damn it!) gathering ever held on this campus.

The theatre department has a long history of high quality and good times, (Yes, my adviser was good and high for five years).This “Then and Now” Reunion aims to honor that tradition by remembering the past (If you can remember it, you weren’t really there) Celebrating the present and building the future (by picking the pockets of “the past” and boring “the present”). The $80 cost per ticket (What! to come to campus and walk around The Building?) includes all listed events, meals, complimentary drinks (They know us real well) and parking privileges , (read “shuttle bus to and from stadium lot”) After costs are met, any balance of funds will be applied to scholarships.

Our alumni lists (Finally!) go back over 40 years, from those still living in the area (and most certainly not working “in the field”) to alums working on both coasts (At Burger Kings and temp agencies).Some former students come back regularly (sorry bastards) while for others it has been decades since they have been back on campus. As such, we have tried to craft an itinerary that will appeal across generations (by provideing many, many opportunities to drink).But the most important thing is simply the opportunity to renew old friendships and make new acquaintances (Network with other people who don’t work in theatre/film/TV either? Piss and moan about the 1% who do?)

Regardless of the degree (I would assume that this didn’t go out to say, Business majors?) or year, the one thing that binds us together is our rightful pride in having been a part of the “Best Damn Theatre program in the State of Texas!”.


Hope You can Join Us in October!.

It went on to list a whole weekend of “fun”. Starting with a roast of my old adviser, who is, shockingly, still alive!, MC-ed by another prof who once told me that I must have very low self esteem because I did not love his class, and later on in the semester, because I had an ear infection and couldn’t hear him, he told me, my lack of involvement in his class meant I was “depressed”. Whatever.

I think I’ll save my $80 and call one of my friends from school and have a reunion with out having to spend a weekend sucking in my stomach and explaining why I don't work "in the feild" any longer - short answer? living with my parents indefinitely wasn't doing it for me and I got tired of having to drop a stage weight on my foot every time I needed to see a doctor, because working in the arts means no pay and no insurance beyond what you can get out of workers comp. The idea is that just being there is supposed to be enough reward! you tell yourself its not really exploitation if you are loving every minute of it!. In the arts you either make a good living or you die trying.

No comments: