Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Vigils

Did any one else go to one of the vigils for Cindy Sheehan? I went to one of the four!! in my area and it was truly rewarding experience. Its easy to get depressed about the Bushco and the endless war, and the media’s' capitulation to the RNC... and to begin to feel very alone. Its one thing to go online and read lefty bloggers and sign the petitions but it’s a very solitary pursuit, you can feel like it doesn't matter. It matters.

I get very excited when I watch Jon Stewart and hear his audience roar in solidarity when he or a guest calls Bull Shit on Bushco, but they are very far away and I don't run into them when I'm out and about. My work place is not full of Air America fans.

But.

I went to the vigil with my candle and my dog and there were 108 people there with their candles and their kids and their dogs and we were all reading from the same page and singing from the same hymnal and It mattered, we mattered and we were not alone.

On September 24, in Washington there is going to be another mass demonstration to protest the war and the Bush Administration. It is one thing to yell at the TV news and bitch with your friends and sign petitions here and there... Its not enough. Talking the Talk is not enough. You must walk the walk as well. You must be seen. You must be counted. You must be in the streets. The time for yelling at your television is over. Be on your television.

And it is not “too late”. It is never too late. It is important that Bushco, curled up with their hubris and the depressed Democrats curled up with their Prozac - know that we have not given up or given in. We are still here. Nothing has changed. We didn’t go hide in a corner. We didn’t throw the towel in or give in the pressure to assimilate. We can not be frightened away, we will not be scared into submission and you can not stop us. Now, more then ever we must be heard. We must continue to fight. Not all of us have been a vigilant as we had been, (me, for instance) But we and I have never given up. September 24. Goggle it. Find a ride.

No comments: