Thursday, September 22, 2005

Generation Lost?

I’m have done a pretty good job getting my stuff together to go to the rally in D.C on Saturday ( borrowed a digital camera, juiced up my cell, bought a not that uncool fanny pack thingy, decided what I'm gong to where, just said no to a sign and back pack...) I’m just waiting on the group to get their stuff together and send me directions to where ever it is I'm supposed to meet them and instructions for after that. I hate flailing around not knowing where I am going and what I'm going to do once I'm there.

I’m having to drive all the way to Durham for this and I’m not excited about doing this in the first place ( why can't these things launch from Raleigh?) and in the dark, an even less joyful idea. I will have a bit of a dry run before I have to make the trip at 4:15 in the morning on Saturday, but I would really prefer to have the specific directions to where the busses will be exactly - Close but no cigar or playing hide and seek with the the group does not get you on the bus and makes me crazy just thinking about it! I want all that sort of thing and no craziness! done before now.

Durham isn’t that far way, I know that, but I hate driving. I’m not a driver. I’m a rider. I do not get any pleasure out of driving and having to do that unpleasureable task in the dark at 4:15 in the morning is even less thrilling. I don’t even mind getting up in the middle of the night to make the trip, just the thought of driving in the dark all the way there and then again at midnight all the way back makes me nauseous.

The group sent me this questionnaire thing and I answered it. I got back a snippy little replay referencing a spread sheet that I was supposed to put my answers on. How exactly do you put essay questions on a spread sheet? I had a hard time getting my whole cell number in the slot provided I’m certainly not going to be able get any answer longer then 9 digits onto the sheet. Is there a secret way of doing it? It is a Gen Y thing to be good a spread sheets? I’m Gen X, we aren’t spreadsheet ready.

I just think it’s goofy. “What was your first political experience?” Gosh, honey, I hardly know you, I’m not sure I want to share that right now. It’s kind of personal... Not. I mean do I go with “My Mother pushed me in a baby carriage through D.C back in ’71” or should I go with “I publicized my Mothers school board candidacy by taping a handbill on my desk in second grade?” or “I considered getting a fake ID so I could vote”? As a possible response. None of them would fit in the spread sheet and I don’t speak I.M so what then? They also want to know what my favorite “fast” song or my favorite “chill” song are. I don’t have a song I “chill” to, and what songs I do like when I hear them, I don’t know what they’re called or who sings them. I suck. I’m not Ipod compatible.

So, thus far we have ascertained that I can’t deal with driving or spread sheets or popular music. I’m old. At least the group that I am going with is old enough to still use Gen X as an identifier, I guess that is a good sign, we do somewhat speak the same language or if we don’t actually speak the same language, we could probably communicate through signs and gestures. If there is anything less fun than being the youngest person in the group it is the non joy of being the oldest in the group.

While I am off hopefully in D.C on Saturday and not blinding driving around the general direction of Durham, Dogger, Nephdog and Kitty are going to be holding down the fort by themselves. I think for Kitty’s sake, he is going to be staying upstairs away from the dogs. I don’t think there would be a problem, but they will get hungry at some point and there won’t be any kibble for them until much, much, much later on. I don’t want Kitty to make a pest of himself and end up a dog treat.

No comments: