Wednesday, September 7, 2005

The March of the Charities

I went to the beach this weekend. The water was warm the beach was cool and just about everybody on the beach was heavier then I was. I don’t think you can ask for more from a day at the beach.

Poor Mr. Kitty didn't have as a good time as I did, he was again tormented by Mini Kitty! That little animal is vicious – she chased him up and down the stairs, ate his food and then molested him while he was trying to relieve himself. Poor Mr. Kitty. To ad insult to injury, Mini Kitty is still absolutely adorable.

I finally saw March of The Penguins. Emperor Penguins are about 3 foot 8 inches tall and they can weigh between 66-90 lbs. They are cute and fluffy from the minute they hatch.

Totally Off Topic - Oddly enough, Mr. Kitty looks a lot like an adult Emperor Penguin while Mini Kitty resembles a baby Emperor Penguin. I mean, a lot. I could make the straight to DVD sequel in my parents’ guest bath - March of the Catguins pt. 2 – The Emperors Strike back.

I saw somewhere that the success of the move is a big surprise to the PTB. They also think that releasing it over the summer was counter intuitive. I think it was genius. Why would you want to spend 90 minutes at the South Pole if in real life it was 30 degrees outside? Ideally, you should see this movie when your clothes are still sticking to you. You can not enjoy the cold if you are cold and if watching your beautifully shot snow and ice is only making your audience think about the road conditions on the drive home, it doesn’t matter how gorgeous the snowscapes; if they make your audience think about snow tires and anti-freeze… they are not thinking about your movie anymore.

Did you know that penguins all look alike? The boy penguins and the girl penguins are interchangeable. They didn’t evolve the same way other birds did with the boy birds getting all the groovy plumage and the girl birds getting all the tiny little bird burkahs. I would think that this made editing the film easier. There wasn’t any one penguin that was the star penguin so they didn’t have to worry about keeping track - they could use any penguin at any time. They could also fudge on Mom and Dad penguin’s comings and goings. “All the female penguins go back to the sea” and then “all the male penguins go back to the sea”. In theory they could have just used the same footage over and over again, it’s not like the female penguins wear little bows or carry purses or that the male penguins wear little penguin rep ties. “The Mother penguin gives the chick back to the Father penguin”. How do they know? It could be the other way around. How could anyone tell? I mean short of tricking the penguins into giving up DNA samples and going all CSI - South Pole on the producers? it doesn't matter, I want a March of the Penguins Happy Meal.

Day one of Skip Lunch Donate To The Red Cross went okay. I was going to just make one donation at the end of the week but after eating my sad little sandwich, I needed the immediate gratification of donating the money right now. Tomorrow I might try another charity, if I can find one that would be okay with a $5 donation. I know that “every little bit helps”, but $5 is so little bitty that it might not help all that much when handed out piece meal. So I might just end up giving all the proceeds ( $25 big bucks shouldn’t really count as “proceeds”) to The Red Cross, because I know they’ll take it and it would be the full donation and not just a piddly $5 here, $5 there. But at the same time there are so many different organizations I want to help out… I really want to through some money to Noah’s Wish, because I know where my animals are. And since I haven’t mentioned it yet? George W. Bush is evil and every bad thing that has happened since the storm came ashore is his fault.

No comments: