Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Old, Old, Old

I am getting too old for this shit. Danny Glover only had to deal with Crazy Mel Gibson! I had to get through the weekend on next to no sleep. I got about four hours Friday night and started the day at 3:30 am Saturday morning, Sunday morning, I went to sleep at 2am and only slept until 8:30am that morning. By about 7:30 Sunday evening I wanted to die. Monday 6:05am rolled around much too fast.

Once upon a time, like back in the early 90s, I could do that kind of thing, in fact, I thrived on that kind of thing. Sleep was a waste of time; sleep took me away from all the fun! Sleep was for babies and old people. I would sleep when I was dead.

Well. I’m not a baby and I’m not dead, I must be an old people. I hate that. It was so easy when I was young. In college I don’t think I ever got eight hours of sleep a night the whole time I was there– there was just too much to do! And I seemed to get most of it done too. If I did get tired, I had all this energy sitting around in energy warehouses until I needed it –run around until all hours and have to be at class by 9am? No problem! Do this seven days a week and remember what classroom I was supposed to be in? all I had to do was call up the warehouse and have them send down a little energy and I could do it again over and over again and enjoy it! I did that when I was out of school too. I think there was a lot of beer while I was at school. I think that helped soften the edges of a lot of it. I may have been miserable but all I can remember is having fun.

Speaking of beer. I had a beer on the bus ride home. One Beer. I got a buzz off one beer. How buzzed? My mouth was numb and I was really interested in the motion of the bus. That is the saddest thing. It is a sad state of affairs when I drink one beer and I end up feeling sloshed. I’m no light weight either; I should be able to down a whole lot more then one tiny beer before I’m feeling that way. I should say in my defense that I was in all likely hood dehydrated and it’s not like there was a food court in The Mall – there should be though, how can you have a mall and no food court? Funny story. We were on the bus coming home and one of the riders was bitching that we didn’t get to stay and listen to the speakers and bands that were scheduled for after the march. He said he had visions of the mall area dotted with camp fires – the rest of us were all “No, there would not be camp fires on the mall.”, and he was “how would they eat” and we said “Um. Venders?” he was really attached to the idea that the mall was going to transform into the world’s largest KOA campground. He was really thinking of tents around the Washington Monument. I think he had a beer too.

I wasn’t sorry to miss the speakers. I mean, I saw that there were a lot of really interesting people lined up but… I find rhetoric boring, I find rhetoric blasted out of speakers the size of Stonehenge to be both boring and painful. Even when I’m fully rested and I agree with it, I think rhetoric is boring. Preaching to the choir is nice for the choir and I’m sure it makes the preacher happy, but it isn’t going to change any minds and the idea of frantic, angry, rhetoric set to music… agitprop rock is so, so, dismal. I was glad to go home when we did.

No comments: